Academy for Health & Fitness
Add to basket or enquire
How do plants photosynthesise? What are the secrets of crafting a garden? How do you plant trees? All these questions and more will be answered in this Horticultural Worker Course, which covers everything on horticulture — ranging from basic botany to plant nutrition.
This Horticultural Worker Course is the only guide you need for learning the essential topics thoroughly and acquire the necessary skills for a special discounted price. With only 9 hours of training towards your CPD-accredited certificate and course materials designed by industry experts, any of your dreams in professional life can be turned into a reality.
Our exclusive Horticultural Worker Course follows an advanced curriculum with topics broken down into a total of 20 scaled-down modules for your ease of self-paced learning. These modules will assist you in grasping the basics and leading you to the steps of getting a comprehensive understanding of all aspects of the Horticultural Worker Course. The course materials designed by experts are easily accessible 24/7 by any of your smartphones, laptops, PCs, tablets etc. Our expert instructors are available on weekdays to listen to any of your queries via email and help you in achieving your goals.
Finally, you will receive a CPD-accredited certificate which will fast-track your career and showcase your expertise on this topic to excel in your professional life. This professional certification along with your in-depth understanding of the course materials will put you ahead in this sector as well as the relevant job market.
Key Topics to Be Covered
- Plant Tissues & Cells: Structure and Function
- The Basic Structure of a Flower
- An Introduction to Plant Physiology
- How do Plants Photosynthesise?
- An Overview of Plant Nutrition
- The Classification of Plants
- Soil Composition & Testing Soil PH
- Organic Methods of Gardening
- Pest Control, Weed Control & Plant Diseases
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the classification of plants and structure of flowers
- Understand the process of photosynthesis and why it is so important for plants
- Deepen your understanding of the composition of soil and learn how to test soil PH
- Learn some organic methods of gardening and understand the benefits of organic gardening
- Know how to maintain gardens, sports grounds and interior landscapes
- Develop your knowledge of plant diseases and learn about pest and weed control
- Deepen your understanding of plant nutrition and soil health
- Learn step-by-step how to plant a tree and nurture it to full growth
Through this comprehensive course, you will explore the fascinating world of plants and flowers, taking an in-depth look at how they thrive and survive in various environments. You will learn about the different classifications of plants, how to test soil composition, learn organic methods of gardening, plus much more.
Discover the beauty of the plant world and gain all the fundamental skills to kickstart a career in the field of horticulture, becoming an expert in plant cultivation. This step-by-step training course will also discuss the fundamentals of weed control, pest control and plant diseases.
Skills You Will Gain
- Basic botany
- Knowledge of plant physiology
- Understanding of soil science
Module 01: Basic Botany
- Plant Tissues
- Plant Cells
- Photosynthetic Tissue
- Structure and Function
- Basic Structure of a Flower
- The Pistil Consists of Four Parts
- Pollen and Nectar
- Basic Plant Physiology
- How to Improve?
- Nutrient Uptake & Transportation
Module 02: Plant Classification
- Non-Vascular Plants
- Vascular Plants with Spores
- Vascular Plants with Seeds
- Flowering Plants (Magnoliophyte)
- Divisions of the Plant Kingdom
Module 03: Soil Science
- What is Soil?
- The Soil Profile
- Factors Affecting Soil Formation
- Parent Materials
- Characteristics of Soils
- Soil Structure and Its Importance
- Different Types of Soil Structure
- Understanding pH and Testing the pH of Soil
- Interpreting the Results of a Soil pH Test
Module 04: Plant Nutrition Requirements
- Essential Nutrients
- Essential Elements for Plant Growth
- Macronutrients and Micronutrients
- Natural Amendments
- Organic Methods of Gardening
- Climatic Factors That Contribute To the Health of Plants
- Rainfall and Water
- Enzyme Activity
- Relative Humidity
- Wind as Climatic Factor
Module 05: Plant Pests and Diseases
- Organic Pest Control for Fruit and Vegetables
- Allium Leaf Miner
Module 06: Basic Concepts of Organic Gardening
- What Is Organic?
- What Exactly Is Involved In Organic Gardening?
- How Do You Amend Soil?
Module 07: Weed Control
- When to Control Weeds
- How to Control Weeds without Chemicals
- Weed Barriers
- Weed-suppressant Fabrics
Module 08: Plant Propagation
- What is Plant Propagation?
- Sexual Propagation
- Methods of Breaking Dormancy
Module 09: Amenity Horticulture, Plant Selection and Native Plants
- Amenity Horticulture
- Areas of Work
- Plant Selection Factor
- Basic Procedure for Planting a Tree
Module 10: Exotic Plants
- Practical Considerations
- Suitable Plants
- Shrubs – Tender and Half-Hardy
Module 11: Indoor Plants
- What are Indoor plants?
- How do you plant indoor plants?
- What are the best indoor plants?
- How do you re-pot indoor plants?
- How do indoor plants affect people’s mood?
Module 12: Lawns
- Traditional Lawn Turf
- Fine Turf
- Shade Tolerant Turf
Module 13: Planting and Plant Care
- Planting a Tree
- Planting Stress
- Caring for New Plants Prior to Planting
Module 14: Plant Nodes and Indigenous Plants
- Identifying Nodes
- Plant Internodes
Module 15: Plant Protection, Landscaping and Garden Design
- Protecting Plants from the Winter
Module 16: Ornamental Horticulture
- What is Ornamental horticulture?
- What is Floriculture?
- Ornamental Trees and Shrubs
- Bulb Crops
Module 17: Permaculture
- What Is Permaculture?
- Aspects of Permaculture
- Work with Nature
- Observation Is The Key!
Module 18: Arboriculture
- History of Arboriculture
- Who Is an Arboriculturalist?
- Difference between Horticulturists & Arborists
Module 19: Horticulture Statistics
- Field Vegetables
- Protected Vegetable
Module 20: Results from the 2018 Seasonal Labour in Horticulture End of Year
- Survey for England
- Key Results for Farms with Horticulture in 2018:
- Detailed Results
- Use of Labour
Once you have completed the modules in the course, your skills and knowledge will be tested with an automated multiple-choice assessment, after which you will receive instant results.
Showcase Your Accomplishment of New Skills: Get a Certification of Completion
Upon passing the assessment, you will receive proper certification that is recognised all over the UK as well as internationally. The PDF certificate is free of cost which you can download instantly upon completing the assessment or you can order it via online. You can also receive an original printed copy of the certificate for showcasing your achievement anywhere and everywhere, which will be sent to you by post. The postal fee for this printed copy is only £5.99, with no additional fees or expense.
Who is this course for?
Is this Horticultural Worker Course right for you?
This comprehensive course is ideal for anyone looking to develop their understanding of horticulture and garden maintenance, as well as anyone looking to fast track their career in this field. There are no specific entry requirements for this course, which can be studied on a part-time or full-time basis.
The Horticultural Worker Course is designed for those who are looking to kickstart a career as a horticulturist or develop their expertise in gardening. Professions in this field include the following: