The National Extension College
Broaden your horizons and extend your global opportunities by studying our IGCSE Spanish online course.
Study Spanish IGCSE online with NEC to improve your listening, reading, speaking and writing through a host of topics including food, health and the media, family, friends and holidays – gaining practical, life-long skills along the way!
Our IGCSE Spanish online course has been life-changing for former students who’ve gone on to travel, progress their career, relocate or to start a new life overseas. As well as a learning a language, studying Spanish IGCSE develops working memory and improves listening skills.
- Building up your vocabulary
- Developing your listening skills
- Using grammar
Section 1: Home and school
- House and home
- School life and routine
Section 2: Food, health and the media
- Food and drink
- Common ailments and healthy lifestyles
- Media – TV and film
Section 3: Family and friends
- Relationships with family and friends
- Daily routine and helping at home
- Hobbies and interests
Section 4: Holidays and special occasions
- Special occasions
- Tourist information and directions
Section 5: Daily life
- Life in the town and rural life
- Shopping and money matters
- Public services
Section 6: The environment
- Environmental issues
- Weather and climate
- Everyday life in a Spanish-speaking country
Section 7: Customs, childhood and travel
- Customs and festivals
- Travel and transport
- School rules and pressures
- School trips, events, exchanges
- The importance of sport
- Accidents and injuries
- The world of work
- Future plans
- Work, volunteering, careers
- Communication – by internet, mobile phone, email, social media
- Keeping informed – radio, newspapers, TV, online
You’ll have access to support from a personal tutor. All NEC tutors are subject experts, with experience of supporting online learners.
Meet Amanda who is just one of our first-class Spanish tutors:
“At it simplest, Spanish is a fun language to learn. The NEC course is well written, and the success of students who have completed the course are testament to that.”
What you need to know
- Edexcel 4SP1
- Online learning with support from a personal tutor
- Complete at your own pace
- Approx. 120-150* hours plus time for completing assignments
*The specification suggests that 150 hours is needed. You’ll also need time to complete assignments and prepare yourself for exams and some courses like English literature involve a lot of reading. Everyone is different so it’s impossible to say with certainty how long a course will take you, but you should expect to spend longer than 150 hours. Taken across the length of time we recommend, this equates to approximately 4 hours per week. This will increase if you choose to take it over a shorter time frame or may be less if you are retaking a subject and have covered a lot of of the course content.
- 11 assignments (one introductory) – these do not contribute towards your final grade
- Set textbook – included as a free ebook with your course: Spanish Edexcel International GCSE by Simon Barefoot, Tim Guildford, Mónica Morcillo Laiz, José Antonio Garcia Sánchez, Mike Thacker and Tony Weston, Hodder Education, 2017
- Internet access
- Computer operating system and browser to support learn@nec
Our course fees are open and honest to help you plan for any additional costs.
Your course fee includes:
- Access to learn@nec
- All the course materials you need to complete the course
- Support from a personal tutor for up to 18 months from your date of enrolment
- Assignment marking
- Guaranteed exam place
- Free e-book version of the essential textbook
- NEC’s guide to study skills: How to Succeed as an Independent Learner
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar guide
- Time planner to help you plan your study timetable
- Information on how to apply for exams
Your course fee does not cover:
- Exam entry fees
- Additional past paper marking
- Revision tutorial
- Optional tutorial
- Additional review
Exams and assessment
- Paper 1: Listening – 25% of marks (30 minutes)
- Paper 2: Reading and writing – 50% of marks (1 hour 45 minutes)
- Oral exam – 25% of marks (8-10 minutes)
There is no non-exam assessment (NEA) for this course.
Additional support if you're under 18
We know that our younger students often need an extra helping hand with their studies. In our experience, learning online works best when the parents are involved, so when you enrol your child with NEC, you’ll have a unique set of services to help you to support your child.
- Your own log in to learn@nec to access the course so you can view the course materials and other information for yourself.
- Access to your child’s gradebook to help you to monitor progress and provide appropriate and timely intervention and support
- You’ll receive emails and forum posts so that you have all the examination and assessment updates/information provided by the NEC team
- Dedicated Parent Portal Pages and targeted blogs with updates/information/help and advice on many aspects of home education.
- Access to the Kudos career platform for young learners to explore career choices.
Who is this course for?
Become an excellent communicator in a language spoken by more than 400 million people in over 44 countries. Studying IGCSE Spanish online is perfect if you:
- Like the opportunities learning a new language brings – in business, or for your own pleasure.
- Are a keen traveller, or would like to explore a new culture from your own home.
- Have a general interest in languages, how words work or how language is structured.
- Want to add an international angle to your choice of GCSE subjects which is something employers value.
- Enjoy learning. Learning a language is ultimately a lot of fun!
- Basic knowledge of Spanish – such as a beginner’s course or school Spanish
- Our course materials assume that English is your first language
- Studying other Modern Foreign Languages or Spanish at AS/A Level.
- Stronger employment opportunities in companies with international links or enhanced employability if you’d like to work abroad.
- A range of careers including those in education, international business, communication and translation through to cultural and tourism or governmental positions.
Questions and answers
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.Leave a review
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.