The National Extension College
Study our GCSE Maths online course and secure the solid grounding you need to enter university, or embark on your ideal career.
Maths is an essential skill, that we use everyday, in all areas of our lives. From adding up a weekly shop, to working out how to decorate a room – maths enables us to find patterns and structure, and opens up a wide range of opportunities.
Our GCSE Maths online course is written by experts in the field. Well-structured materials covering topics – such as fractions, decimals and pythagoras – will enable you to gain confidence in basic mathematical skills, before progressing to more challenging areas.
Throughout our online distance learning course you’ll be supported by a personal tutor who will answer your questions and give direct feedback on your progress through eleven tutor-marked assignments.
We have a proven track record of supporting learners who previously had a poor experience of maths. Our approach has boosted their confidence and even cultivated a new found love for the subject!
Why study Maths?
Maths has a wide variety of practical and theoretical applications in areas as diverse as space travel, public health and predicting stock market prices. In addition, it’s an essential qualification for many future career paths.
By studying GCSE Maths online you’ll become better-equipped when it comes to problem-solving, critical thinking, analytical and interpretative skills. You’ll also learn the importance of maths in society, employment and study.
- Working with numbers
- Directed numbers
- Percentages and ratios
- Beginning algebra
- Coordinates and straight lines
- Factors, multiples and primes
- Shapes and symmetry
- Presenting data
- Using graphs
- Indices and surds
- Using data
- Length and area
- Constructions and diagrams
- Pythagoras’ theory
- More graphs
- Shapes and solids
- Compound measure
- More trigonometry
- More probability and statistics
- Vectors (Higher level only)
- Everyday calculations
- More algebra
- Circle theorems – proof (Higher level only)
You’ll have access to support from a personal tutor. All NEC tutors are subject experts, with experience of supporting online learners.
Meet Sally who is just one of our first-class maths tutors:
“I love maths! My aim is to pass the passion I have for my subject on to others, to support learning through flexible tuition – appreciating that each learner has different commitments, motivations and ways of learning. I have a BSc and PhD from Leeds University as well as a PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education). I have taught for several years in schools (as deputy head of the maths department) and university. I am also an A level examiner. I live in Yorkshire with my family. They as well as my garden and clarinet are my other passions.”
What you need to know
- Edexcel 1MA1
- Online learning with support from a personal tutor
- Complete at your own pace
- Approx. 120-150* hours plus time to develop your skills and for completing assignments
*The specification suggests that 150 hours is needed. You’ll also need time to complete assignments and prepare yourself for exams and some courses like English literature involve a lot of reading. Everyone is different so it’s impossible to say with certainty how long a course will take you, but you should expect to spend longer than 150 hours. Taken across the length of time we recommend, this equates to approximately 4 hours per week. This will increase if you choose to take it over a shorter time frame or may be less if you are retaking a subject and have covered a lot of of the course content.
- 11 assignments (one introductory) – these do not contribute towards your final grade
- No additional set texts required
- There are some recommendations you may wish to refer to for additional reading
- Internet access
- Computer operating system and browser to support learn@nec
Our course fees open and honest to help you plan for any additional costs.
Your course fee includes:
- Access to learn@nec
- All the course materials you need to complete the course
- Support from a personal tutor for up to 18 months from your date of enrolment
- Assignment marking
- Guaranteed exam place
- NEC’s guide to study skills: How to Succeed as an Independent Learner
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar guide
- Time planner to help you plan your study timetable
- Information on how to apply for exams
Your course fee does not cover:
- Exam entry fees
- Recommended textbooks for additional reading
- Additional past paper marking
- Revision tutorial
- Optional tutorial
- Additional review
Exams and assessment
This is a tiered qualification. You must choose which tier to enter for:
- Foundation – grades 1 to 5. Grade 5 is the highest award you can achieve at this tier.
- Higher – grades 4 to 9. Grade 9 is the highest award you can achieve at this tier.
- 33.3% of marks (1 hour 30 minutes) (non-calculator)
- 33.3% of marks (1 hour 30 minutes) (calculator)
- 33.3% of marks (1 hour 30 minutes) (calculator)
There is no non-exam assessment (NEA) for this course.
Additional support if you're under 18
We know that our younger students often need an extra helping hand with their studies. In our experience, learning online works best when the parents are involved, so when you enrol your child with NEC, you’ll have a unique set of services to help you to support your child.
- Your own log in to learn@nec to access the course so you can view the course materials and other information for yourself.
- Access to your child’s gradebook to help you to monitor progress and provide appropriate and timely intervention and support
- You’ll receive emails and forum posts so that you have all the examination and assessment updates/information provided by the NEC team
- Dedicated Parent Portal Pages and targeted blogs with updates/information/help and advice on many aspects of home education.
- Access to the Kudos career platform for young learners to explore career choices.
Who is this course for?
Our Maths GCSE course is ideal if you:
- Need to enhance your employability. GCSE Maths is essential for a host of career paths including nursing, teaching, accounting, IT and management.
- Would like to access an apprenticeship or pursue AS/A Levels.
- Want to study at university, as most course entry requirements include GCSE Maths.
- Are working to broaden your skill set – particularly in the areas of problem solving, numeracy and innovative thinking.
- Have an interest in mathematics and want to learn more about it.
- No formal qualifications are required for this course
- An ability to read and write in English
- Studying Mathematics at AS/A Level.
- A range of careers in fields such as accountancy, data analysis, financial management, financial trading, insurance, meteorology, nursing, quantity surveying, statistics, software development, architecture and education.
Questions and answers
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.Leave a review
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.