Next Learn Academy
Add to basket or enquire
Gardening and Landscaping
Owning a well-maintained garden could add a little bit of quality, peace, and serenity to life that is genuinely unexplainable. With urbanization, the need for a bit of greenery in the surrounding has only increased, with more and more people establishing gardens around their houses or businesses. As a result, the gardening and landscaping industry has seen some significant growth and the demand for professional gardeners and landscapers has also increased
If you too wish to put your passion towards gardening and landscaping into a career, then this course in Gardening and Landscaping might be the right place to get started. Not just for aspiring individuals, people who would like to learn about gardening and landscaping to maintain and beautify his/her gardens might also greatly benefit from this program.
The latest trends in landscaping and gardening, the challenging conditions of maintaining trees and shrubs, how to plant trees and shrubs, how to care for trees and shrubs during winter, summer and spring and how restore a landscape back to health will all be taught abundantly through this course program.
Why You Should Learn at Next Learn Academy?
Online learning is flexible, convenient and gives you the opportunity to balance life's other commitments with higher education. Next Learn Academy offers an extensive range of online courses with a variety of rich material and resources that will let you connect to peers and expert tutors and build on your skills and knowledge. Next Learn Academy is a reliable online provider with a strong reputation and its meticulously designed courses to help you kick-start your professional journey in the best possible way.
Module 01: Designing a Framework for Your Landscape and Trends in Landscape Design
Designing a Framework for Your Landscape
- Introduction to the environment
- Uniqueness of trees
- Importance of a beautiful landscape
- Trees and shrubs
- Different type of trees and shrubs
- Adding structure to the landscape
- Introduction to dwarf plants
- Examples of a beautiful landscape
- Climate trees
- Introduction on flowers
- How flowers adapt to the climate
- How fruit plants damage your landscape
- Specimen plants in a garden
- Choosing the right shapes to the landscape design
- Importance of attracting birds to a landscape
Trends in Landscape Design – Form and Function
- Selecting the right plant based on the location
- How to correctly match the plants to your location
- Things to consider
- Getting the most out of landscape layout
- Energy conservation
- Foundation planting
- Example of foundation plantings
- Four season plants and their importance
- How trees reduce runoffs
- Defining the space with a landscape
- Getting the proper color with plants
- Introduction to espalier
- how form impacts
Module 02: Challenging Conditions of Trees and Shrubs
- Match plant to growing condition
- Types of shades
- Indicator plants
- Selecting shade tolerant plants
- What is thinning
- How trees and shrubs effect the heat
- How moisture and temperature effects plant growth
- Aging of a plant
- Cause of waterlogged soils
- Solving for waterlogged soils
- Impacts caused by lack of water
- Seasonal needle drop
- Dealing with heat and drought
Module 03: How to Shop for the Best Trees and Shrubs? & Proper Way to Plant Trees
How to shop for the Best Trees and Shrubs?
- Where to shop
- Growing conditions
- Reconfirming the plant selection
- Size as it relates to the budget
- Different type of trees and shrubs on sale
- Girdling roots
- Making sure plants are free of insects and diseases
- Proper transportation
The Proper Way to Plant Trees and Shrubs
- Government guidelines on planting in US & Canada
- Timing influences on planting
- How planting time varies with type of plant
- Example on root flare
- Problems caused by root flare
- What is frost cracks
- Advantages of digging a wide hole than the root ball
- Why asking for help when planting bigger trees is important
- Disadvantages of not removing burlap from the plant
- Planting your first tree
- Advantages and disadvantages of bare root
- Introduction on graft
- What is staking
Module 04: Trees and Shrubs Spring, Summer and Winter Care
Trees and Shrubs Spring and Summer Care
- Eearly and ongoing care
- Science behind trees, shrubs and the water use
- Watering the new and old plants in a proper way
- Importance of tree gator
- Examples of not properly watering a tree
- Introduction to deep watering
- Importance of mulch
- The different types of barks & mulch
- Disadvantages of cutting and trimming outgrown roots
- Advantages of groundcovers
- Introduction to pocket planting
- Transplanting and fertilizing in spring, summer
- What is root pruning
- Proper way to fertilize in spring, summer
- Different types of shrubs that need different fertilizations
Winter Care of Trees and Shrubs
- Importance of decomposed leaves
- Introduction to winter protection
- Introduction to the soil mound method
- Difference types of soil mound methods in winter
- How to prune roses in winter?
- Different types of winter roses
- How prevent desiccation
- Things to keep in mind during winter placements
- Properly pruning plants to prevent winter damages
- How to protect trees and shrubs during winter season
- Types of repellent that can be used
- How to monitor animal damage
- How salt prevents uptake in nutrients
- Using plant friendly de-icing salts
Module 05: How to Prune Old and Young Trees?
- Introduction on pruning
- Tools used for pruning
- Functionalities of the tools used in pruning
- Example on developing branches in a tree
- Quick Overview of removing branches
- Example on How to Properly prune a young tree
- Guidelines on proper pruning
- Importance of shortening branches
- Counteracting lion’s tailing
- Introduction to ongoing pruning
- Pruning according to the climate
- Disadvantages of pruning too much
- How severe pruning affects the growth of the tree
Module 06: How to Prune Shrubs?
- Introduction on pruning shrubs
- Advantages of regular pruning
- Deciding the best time to prune
- Different types of cuts in pruning
- Different types of pruning methods
- Introduction to shearing
- Example of shearing hedges
- Maintain the natural habitat of the shrub by pruning and shearing
- Pruning tips and methods
- Example of pruning a shrub
Module 07: When Trees and Shrubs Fail to Thrive?
- Different kinds of leaves
- Introduction to stem
- Different factors involved in planting trees and shrubs
- Importance of a weather calendar
- Importance of Maintaining a yearly growth list
- How to properly identify symptoms
- Identifying different types of damages
- Different types of infections and diseases
- Different types of insects that cause damage to trees and shrubs
- Examples of taking proper care
Module 08: Way of Restoring a Landscape to Health? & Expand Your Landscapes Framework
Way of restoring a Landscape to Health?
- Introduction to seasonal needle drop
- Treating different types of diseases and symptoms
- Factors to consider when deciding the treatment for the cause and the budget of saving a plant
- Different types of control options
- Types of soil systemic insecticides
- What are aphid traps
- Tips on maintain a landscape
- Ways to provide proper growing conditions
- Reducing the problems faced by plants in a landscape
- Difference between disease treatment and insect treatment
- Proper ways to Identify the symptoms
- Tips to protect plants from insects and diseases
How to expand your Landscapes Framework?
- Factors to consider when creating a landscape
- Tips when planting from scratch
- Materials used in expanding
- Proper ways to use the material
- Introduction to initial pruning
- Tips on creating beautiful shapes using young plants
- Introduction to different types of styles and shapes in landscapes
- Training young plants
- Tips on expanding on a budget
- Drainage needs
- Deciding the watering needs
- Introduction to microclimates
- What is propagating
- Supplies needed for propagating cuttings
- Types of cuttings
- Examples of propagating
- Importance of collecting seeds
- Introduction to transplanting]
- Difference between stratifying and scarifying
Method of Assessment
At the end of the course, learners will take an online multiple choice questions assessment test. This online multiple choice questions assessment test is marked automatically so that you will receive an instant grade and know whether you have passed the course.
Successful learners will be awarded a Certificate in Gardening and Landscaping - Level 2 by CPD. You will receive a FREE E-certificate in PDF format and a Printed certificate upon completing the course.
The course will be directly delivered to you, and you have 12 months access to the online learning platform from the date you joined the course. The course is self-paced and you can complete it in stages, revisiting the lectures at any time.
CPD is an internationally recognised accrediting body that will make your CV standout and encourage employers to see your motivation at expanding your skills and knowledge in an enterprise.
- High-quality e-learning study materials.
- Tutorials/materials from industry-leading experts.
- 24/7 Access to the Learning Portal.
- Recognised Accredited Certification
Who is this course for?
- Individuals wishing to take up a career in gardening and landscaping
- Professionals looking to up their gardening and landscaping expertise
- Anyone interested in the subject to maintain his/her own gardens
Learners should be age 16 or over, and must have a basic understanding of Maths, English, and ICT.
This course would be beneficial to the following job positions:
- Professional Gardener
- Garden Centre Assistant
- Seasonal Grounds Maintenance Officer
- Farm Assistant
- Garden Landscaper
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
Mike Smart asked:
What would I learn and what is the difference between the gardening and the horticulture course.
Dear Sir/Ma'am Thank you very much for your query. You will learn to Design frameworks for your landscape and trends in landscape design,Identify the challenging conditions of trees and shrubs, Understand how to select best trees and shrubs and how to best plant them and many more. Hurry up to grab the discount as it ends soon. Regards, Student Support Team.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Student card discount eligible?
Dear Marcello Thank you very much for your query. Please refer the benefits listed in details. Hurry up to grab the discount as it ends soon. Regards, Student Support Team.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Is the assessment multiple choice questions? And what happens if I fail the online assessment?
Dear Shelley Thank you very much for your query.At the end of the course learners will take an online multiple choice question assessment test. There is very less chnce for you to get failed as all the study material are well structured and you will recieve tutor support. However you can retake the exam for a small subscription. Hurry up and enroll as the discount ends soon. Regards, Student Support Team.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.