Add to basket or enquire
This course will focus on the field of forensic anthropology and the techniques used to analyse human skeletal remains including the estimation of sex, age at death, stature, and the identification of any traumatic lesions present. It will further discuss the role of the forensic anthropologist as part of the medicolegal system.
- 37 lectures, with 45 minutes of video content plus in depth powerpoint slides.
- Learn how to analyse skeletons to gain amazing information about the life of an individual
- Identify the major bones of the human skeleton
- Estimate the sex, stature and age at death of the individual from skeletal elements;
- Estimate ancestry from skeletal remains
- Understand the ethical considerations of importance to physical anthropologists and forensic anthropologists.
Enrol on this course today and pursue a career forensic science, biology, forensic medicine, medicine, osteology, human anatomy, bioarchaeology, or archaeology.
This course is led by Catherine Gaither, a Bioarchaeologist and Forensic Anthropologist. Catherine has been analysing skeletal remains for over 20 years and she wants to share some of the knowledge and experience she has gained with you.
- Instructor Intro
- Course Outline
- Say hi and tell your fellow students why you're taking this course
- Share your new course with your friends!
- Introduction to Anthropology
The Field of Anthropology
- What is Anthropology?
- What is Anthropology - Slides
- Forensic anthropology
- Forensic Anthropology - Slides
- Human Osteology intro
- Human Osteology and Skeletal Biology Slides
- Supplemental bone identification
- Comparative Osteology - Slides
- Supplemental comparative osteology
Estimation of sex from skeletal remains
- Estimating sex from skeletal elements
- Estimating sex from human remains - Slides
- Sex Estimation Exercise
Estimating age at death from skeletal remains
- Estimating age at death from skeletal remains
- Estimate age at death - Slides
- Supplemental age estimation Part 1
- Supplemental age estimation Part 2
- Age Estimation Exercise
Estimating stature, BMI, and MNI
- Estimating Stature, BMI, and MNI
- Estimating stature, BMI, and MNI - Slides
- Stature, BMI & MNI calculation form
Estimating ancestral affiliation
- Estimating ancestry
- Estimating Ancestry - Slides
- Supplemental ancestry estimation
- Ancestry Estimation Exercise
Analyzing bones for trauma
- Analyzing trauma
- How does trauma present on the skeleton; Projectile trauma
- Sharp force trauma
- Blunt force trauma
- Supplemental trauma analysis
- Trauma Exercise
Writing it up!
- Writing it up! How to produce a professional report
- Writing it up - Slides
- Ethical considerations intro
- Physical anthropology code of ethics
- Forensic anthropology code of ethics
- Ethical code for human rights work
- Age Estimations Answers
- Ancestry Estimation Answers
- Sex Estimation Answers
- Trauma Answers
Bonus Materials: Textbooks
- Supplemental textbook recommendations
Why Choose OfCourse Learning?
- All courses are taught by verified experts
- Students enjoy 24/7 access to their courses
- Courses can be accessed on any device
- Students get lifetime access to their courses so they can work at their own pace
- On completion, students receive a course certificate from a recognised educational institution
- Become a part of a global learning community where you can talk with teachers and students about the course
Who is this course for?
People who are interested in pursuing a career in forensic science, biology, forensic medicine, medicine, osteology, human anatomy, bioarchaeology, or archaeology can all benefit from this course.
This course has no prerequisites
Pursue a career in forensic science
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
The time stated for this course says 2 hours, is this just a taster session, as surely you cannot complete any substantive course in 2 hours
Hi Sandra There is 2h of video content. The course will take significantly longer to complete fully. Hope this helpsThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
I am very interested in this course. However I would like some more information? as I get paid next tues. Please could someone get back to me. Thanks
HI Taylor, Thanks for getting in touch and for your interest in OfCourse! What more would you like to know about our courses? All of our courses are delivered online by accredited experts and come with certificates of completion. You would also have unlimited lifetime access to the content, so you can go at your own pace and refer back to the course when needed. Hope this helps! TravisThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
sharon Thomas asked:
What is the duration of this course? Will offer on special offer again?
Hi there, The course is made up of 37 lectures, with 45 minutes of video content plus in depth powerpoint slides. You will have unlimited access to the course so can complete it in your own time.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.Leave a review
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.