CPD Online College
Add to basket or enquire
This level 2 food hygiene course is designed for people working in retail. This includes various different food outlets and the course develops the students knowledge of food hygiene including the safe preparation and storage of foodstuffs. An understanding of hazards, allergens and contamination is also covered in the course.
It is a legal requirement of anyone who handles food to ensure they have a working understanding of food hygiene. This course meets this requirement and covers personal hygiene, cleaning of premises, food contamination, hazards and the safe preparation of food. This course is tailored specifically for people working in a retail environment.
Working in retail as a food handler requires a strong knowledge of food safety and hygiene which is covered in detail on this course. Once completed, a fully regulated CPD certificate is achieved which is proof of your knowledge of food hygiene procedures.
- Fully CPD registered
- Completed online with instant downloadable certificate
- Fully printed certificate posted next day
- Covers all required legislation and practices
- Complete the online multiple choice assessment as many times as you need to pass
- Unit 1 – Food safety and the law: In this unit you will look at the importance of food safety and the laws that are in place to protect the public. The unit covers the risks that poor food safety and hygiene poses and the responsibilities of people when working in the food and drinks industry. The enforcement of food safety laws as well as the Food Safety and Hygiene Regulations are introduced. We will then move on to look at how food safety inspections are carried out, due diligence for food handlers, HACCP principles and finally the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme.
- Unit 2 – Preparing food and measuring temperature: In this unit you will learn how to prepare food safely and understand what is meant by the ‘danger zone’. You will learn about the importance of thawing, cooking, hot holding, cooling and re-heating food to safe temperatures in order to ensure that food is safe for consumption and that bacteria is not allowed to multiply and contaminate food. Finally you will look at temperature controls and how to correctly measure temperatures of different food.
- Unit 3 – Storing food safely: In this unit you will look at the importance of using reputable suppliers for dealing with food deliveries and consider the common reasons for rejecting food deliveries. We will then move on to the storage of food using refrigeration and freezing techniques. The best-before and use-by system will be covered and methods of stock rotation explained to ensure produce is as fresh as possible.
- Unit 4 – Food poisoning and contamination: In this unit you will look at what food poisoning means and identify those most at risk from food poisoning. You will consider the common causes of food poisoning and look at ways of preparing food for safe consumption. We will look at the most common types of food poisoning as well as different bacteria which can be present in food. This will lead us on to examine food spoilage and high risk foods. Finally the unit covers preservation of food and methods to reduce bacterial growth.
- Unit 5 – Hazards and allergens: In this unit you will explore the three types of hazards in the food place physical, chemical and biological and consider how hazards might get into the food chain and present a problem. You will look at how to prevent physical hazards from people, packaging, products, pests, premises and plant machinery and consider the types of chemical hazards and how these can be avoided. You will also look at biological hazards such as bacteria and viruses and understand some of the common symptoms of allergic reactions. Finally, you will explore the 14 recognised food allergens and learn how to comply with the law with regard to allergen information.
- Unit 6 – Personal hygiene: In this unit you will learn about the importance of personal hygiene when handling food and the impact on consumers if personal hygiene is not maintained. You will discover the important rules with regard to personal hygiene and understand the importance of wearing protective clothing and removing jewellery. Finally you will consider workplace illnesses and when these should be reported.
- Unit 7 – Food premises: In this unit you will understand the importance of carefully considering the layout, design and construction of food premises and learn about the regulations covering these. You will look at how to keep the premises clean at all times and learn why cleaning schedules are necessary in order to ensure that all areas are kept sanitised and that none are missed. Finally the unit will cover the common types of pests found on food premises and what can be done to eliminate them.
How does it work?
This course is studied through out innovative online system which allows you to enrol and complete your training any time, 24/7. The simple and intuitive design of our system means the focus is on the course materials and no time is wasted getting used to how things work.
Simply work through each slide on the course, which are ticked off on your progress bar as you go, and then take the multiple choice quiz to pass. Should you need to attempt the quiz multiple times you can do so - we set no limits on how many times you can attempt the quiz.
Once you finish you can download a copy of your certificate immediately. We also send out a hard copy in the post the very next day.
Our courses are designed and written by industry experts in their field from all over the word. Once written, our in-house staff work hard to get the materials on to our innovative system and ensure they are easy to navigate, simple and clear.
We never limit how long you have on a course with us. So study at your own pace safe in the knowledge that you can work on your course for as long as you need. Most people take around 2 hours to finish each of our courses but if you need longer or wish to take a break and come back to your studies you can.
A certificate from the CPD Online College is a mark of quality. Our courses are fully accredited with the CPD Certification Service which means we have met their strict criteria for continuous professional development courses.
Once you a pass a course with us, you can download and print a copy of your certificate immediately. We also send out a hard copy, printed in full colour on glossy 170GSM paper, the very next day via first class royal mail. This paper certificate means your studying is fully recognised and you can show off your certificate to you friends, family and colleagues.
Help and guidance
All of our courses are backed by our helpful staff who are here to help every step of the way. Using our online chat you can get real time support if you ever get stuck. Alternatively you can call us to speak with one of the team over the phone.
Who is this course for?
This food safety and hygiene course is designed for people for people who work in retail that handle food. This includes industries such as:
- Grocery store
- Farmers market
- Farm shop
- Market stall
There are no previous requirements to study this course.
Perfect for anyone who works with food in a retail setting.
Currently there are no reviews for this course. Be the first to leave a review.