Add to basket or enquire
EU Regulation 852/2004 Hygiene for Foodstuffs requires Food Businesses to make sure that any staff who handles food are supervised, instructed and trained in Food Hygiene in a way that is appropriate to the work they do.
This module is a self-study course (formerly known as Foundation or Basic Food Hygiene) and maps to the Industry Standards set by People 1st, the Sector Skills Council for the Hospitality, Leisure, Travel and Tourism industries. This course is aimed at anyone working in catering or hospitality whether employed or self employed, working in restaurants, hotels, fast food outlets, takeaways, cafes, bars, kitchens, catering in hospitals, schools and colleges. It allows every catering business, regardless of size, to provide all staff with first class training at a fraction of the cost and disruption of classroom based training.
This course is accredited by City & Guilds
- Virtual College are a City and Guilds Accredited centre.
- City and Guilds have accredited our L2 Food Safety and Hygiene certificates
- Our price includes a City and Guilds Accredited Certificate.
- City and Guilds approved quality assurance of our online delivery processes and learner support systems.
- Quality City & Guilds Accredited Certificate carrying authorisation seal.
Upon completion of this online training material learners will sit an online test and on successful completion, will receive a City & Guilds Accredited Level 2 Certificate in Food Safety and Hygiene meeting the legal training required, which must then be applied to work situations.
The training and test usually take between 2 to 3 hours to complete (depending on learning speed), which is equivalent to 6 hours face-to-face group training. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark , and, if necessary, may re-sit the test at no extra cost, having revisited the training material. Your self-printed certificate is City & Guilds accredited
Produced by Virtual College in association with Food Safety experts "Food Dialog" a registered Training Centre with the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH) we have made every effort to make the training friendly, understandable and as down to earth as possible.
On completion of this course learners should understand:
- Why food hygiene and safety is important
- Their personal and legal responsibilities
- The impact of food borne illness
- How food becomes contaminated
- How to prevent contamination through good hygiene practices
- How to control contamination through safe temperatures and storage
- How to control food safety hazards at critical control points using a HACCP based Food Safety Management System
Upon completion of this module learners will have an understanding of a wide range of key food safety issues, including the three main types of food safety hazard, their sources and methods of control. Learners will know the correct temperatures needed for storage and food handling activities from delivery through to sale, and be aware of common food pests and how to control them, along with the principles of cleaning and disinfection and how these apply to the workplace.
The sections covered include:
- Learning Objectives and an introduction to Food Safety and Hygiene – Food Safety and Hygiene are terms commonly used, here we will look at how they relate to food that has been prepared and served.
- Impact of Food-Borne Illness – looking at what food-bourne illnesses are and how they affect us.
- Understanding Food Law – food often has a long journey from growing, harvesting, delivery, preparation through to being eaten. As a result there are many opportunities for it to become contaminated. In this section we look at legislation in place that relates to food hygiene and safety.
- Food Safety Hazards and Contamination – exploring food safety hazards and how they arise and consider how they can be prevented and controlled.
- Food Preservation, Storage and Temperature Control - how to preserve food, including appropriate storage and temperature controls.
- Personal Hygiene – this section looks at why personal hygiene is so important when working with food – from hand washing to legal requirements.
- Hygienic Premises and Equipment – this section looks at good housekeeping and the part premises and equipment design play in maintaining clean, pest-free conditions.
- Hazards Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) - it is a requirement of regulations that all businesses implement and maintain a documented Food Safety Management system based on HACCP. This section looks at what this involves.
Anyone handling food and drink within the catering sector must be trained in Food Safety and Hygiene and apply it to their work. This module is aimed at anyone working in a catering or hospitality environment, whether employed or self employed, who handles food and drink as part of their everyday or occasional working routines. Typically this would include people working in hotels, cafes, bars, restaurants, kitchens, fast food outlets, catering in hospitals, schools and colleges.
The content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is Accredited by City & Guilds.
Note, this course is an accredited training programme, should you require a full qualification you will be required to undertake an additional assessment by visiting an accredited test centre at an additional cost.
When you have successfully completed your course and attained the 75% required test pass, you will receive a City & Guilds Accredited Certificate. Our Certificates are of extremely high quality and carry an authorisation seal. The certificate should be displayed to show appropriate training has taken place.
Approximately 2-3 hours to complete. As an e-learning module you can complete this training in convenient stages. The system will record your progress throughout.
This food safety and hygiene module is aimed at anyone working in a role that involves contact with food, or the management of such people; regulations require that anyone involved in food handling must be appropriately trained in food safety. The module can be used either as Induction, Awareness, Refresher and Foundation Training.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
How it Works
This is an online course, all the training will be taken through your browser window. There will be no face-to-face sessions with instructors nor will you receive any training material through the post. If you wish you may print out any page of the training material and may also print the notes you took during the training.
You can also revisit the training material at any time, even after you have completed the course.
The material for this course has been broken down into several smaller lessons, each lesson dealing with a specific area of the overall subject.
The lesson consists of a series of pages in which an instructor will talk you through the lesson material at a pace that suits you. Pages may also include supporting pictures, graphs, animation or extra sounds to help with the learning where appropriate. Some lessons will include challenges/quizzes to help you keep in touch and interested in the material.
Lessons can be taken in any order and each lesson may be PAUSED and RESUMED at any stage. When all lessons in the course have been completed our system will realise and automatically record that you have successfully completed the course.
The course is self-paced so you decide how fast or slow the training goes. You can complete the course in stages revisiting the training at any time.
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
Is there a level 1 course I need to complete before doing the level 2?
Hi Mark, We do offer a Level 1 Food Safety and Hygiene course which gives a brief introduction into the subject. There is no requirement to complete this before completing the Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene course. Kin regards, Virtual CollegeThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
So, is this course internationally accredited? Will it suffice for working in FB service in Costa Rica?
Hi Jules, the course is designed to meet the EU standards so can be used all over Europe. We would recommend checking with your employer before purchasing the course to see if they accept City and Guilds accredited Virtual College Food Hygiene certificates. Kind regards, Virtual CollegeThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
hi, is it included the exam? Would i receive the certificate if passed? Thanks.
Hi Nat, The course includes a test at the end and once passed you will be able to download your certificate instantly. Kind regards, Virtual CollegeThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.Leave a review
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.