Add to basket or enquire
A good understanding of food hygiene is a must if you want a career in the food industry that isn’t filled with fines, business closures and loss of customer trust.
With over 10 years of experience as a restaurant chef, caterer and culinary teacher, Tara Guinness knows first-hand the importance of having good food hygiene and safety practices.
Join her for this RoSPA assured level 2 food hygiene and safety course, where Tara will take you through nine essential modules, each focused on a specific area of food hygiene and safety.
Modules range from food preparation practices and stock control methods, to dealing with microbiological hazards and personal hygiene.
You’ll also get to deepen your understanding of food hygiene with info-packed resources on food safety legislation, pest control and more.
All the resources are downloadable so you can keep refreshing your food hygiene knowledge long after you’ve completed this course.
By successfully completing this food hygiene and safety course you’ll:
- Learn what’s expected from food businesses and food handlers when it comes to maintaining high standards of food hygiene and safety
- Understand those all-important food hygiene and safety laws to prevent illness, fines and potential jail time
- Understand how to prevent harmful bacteria from spreading to your food and products
- Be able to maintain good food hygiene and ensure staff and customers are safe
Why should you take our food hygiene and safety course?
This Level 2 food hygiene and safety course is assured by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents. It includes:
- Interactive quizzes so you can test your knowledge
- Comprehensive yet fast-paced lessons all of which can be completed in as little as two hours
- A free certificate you can download and share on your LinkedIn profile
- A £25 RoSPA assured Reed Learning certificate & transcript detailing the modules you completed and your test scores. This will be available for order once you've completed the course
- 1: Why take Reed Learning's Food Hygiene course? 01:23
- 2: Introduction to food hygiene and safety 03:13
- 3: What do you know about food safety and hygiene? 02:00
- 4: Food safety legislation 04:22
- 5: Key food safety legislation 02:00
- 6: Food safety law enforcement 01:00
- 7: What do you know about food safety legislation? 06:00
- 8: Microbiological hazards 00:41
- 9: Food poisoning 00:47
- 10: Pathogenic bacteria 01:37
- 11: Food spoilage 00:40
- 12: High and low risk food 00:48
- 13: Raw foods 00:30
- 14: Controlling bacteria 00:38
- 15: Cross contamination 00:29
- 16: Food preservation 01:27
- 17: Natural Toxins 00:29
- 18: Process contaminants Acrylamide 00:45
- 19: Viral contamination 00:27
- 20: Preventing viral contamination 00:38
- 21: What have you learnt about microbiological hazards? 05:00
- 22: Physical, chemical & allergenic hazards 02:53
- 23: Allergenic hazards & Natasha's law 02:00
- 24: What have you learnt about physical, chemical and allergenic hazards? 03:00
- 25: Hygiene and safety when storing food 03:33
- 26: Stock control 03:00
- 27: What have you learnt about food safety and hygiene in food storage? 03:00
- 28: Hygiene and safety when preparing food 04:14
- 29: What have you learnt about safety and hygiene in food preparation? 03:00
- 30: Food handler hygiene 03:22
- 31: What have you learnt about food handler hygiene? 03:00
- 32: Food premises safety and hygiene 02:38
- 33: Food premises law & design 03:00
- 34: Pest Control 04:00
- 35: Test your knowledge of food hygiene on your premises 05:00
- 36: Conclusion 02:10
Introduction to food hygiene and safety
In this introductory module, you’ll meet your tutor, learn why food hygiene and safety are so important, and understand the difference between food hygiene and food safety.
- VIDEO: Introduction to food hygiene and safety
- QUIZ: Test your food hygiene knowledge
Food hygiene and safety legislation
Ever wondered what the law says about food hygiene and safety? In this module, you’ll explore the different food hygiene and safety legislations and understand the consequences of not following them.
- VIDEO: Food hygiene and safety legislation
- PDF: Key food hygiene and safety legislation
- PDF: Food safety law enforcement
- QUIZ: Test your knowledge of food hygiene and safety legislation
When harmful bacteria makes its way into your food and products customers can become ill and your place of work could be shut down. This module will help you understand the different biological hazards as well as food hygiene practices to keep them at bay.
- VIDEO: Microbiological hazards
- VIDEO: Food poisoning
- VIDEO: Pathogenic bacteria
- VIDEO: Food spoilage
- VIDEO: High and low risk foods
- VIDEO: Raw foods
- VIDEO: Controlling bacteria
- VIDEO: Cross-contamination
- VIDEO: Food-preservation
- VIDEO: Natural Toxins
- VIDEO: Process contaminants: acrylamide
- VIDEO: Viral contamination
- VIDEO: Preventing viral contamination
- QUIZ: Test your knowledge of microbiological hazards
Physical, chemical and allergenic Hazards
Learn the food hygiene and safety measures you should follow to prevent physical, chemical and allergenic hazards.
- VIDEO: Physical, chemical and allergenic hazards
- PDF: Allergenic hazards & Natasha’s law
- QUIZ: Test your knowledge of physical, chemical and allergenic hazards
Hygiene and safety when storing food
Storing food correctly can help reduce spoilage and prevent contamination. You’ll learn what good food hygiene and safety look like when storing food.
- VIDEO: Hygiene and safety when storing food
- PDF: Stock control
- QUIZ: Test your knowledge of hygiene and safety when storing food
Hygiene and safety when preparing food
Understand the steps you need to take to ensure your food is always prepared safely and hygienically.
- VIDEO: Hygiene and safety when preparing food
- QUIZ: Test your knowledge of hygiene and safety when preparing food
Hygiene when handling food
It’s important to practise good hygiene when handling food. You’ll learn how to handle food properly and safely to prevent contamination.
- VIDEO: Hygiene when handling food
- QUIZ: Test your knowledge of food handling hygiene
Food hygiene and safety on your premises
Learn about common pests, the health hazards they pose and the food hygiene and safety protocols you can use to prevent them.
- VIDEO: Food hygiene and safety on your premises
- PDF: Food hygiene on your premises – law & design
- PDF: Pest control
- QUIZ: Test your knowledge of food hygiene on your premises
Level 2 Food Hygiene and Safety - Conclusion
In this final module you’ll get a chance to recap everything you’ve learned in this course.
- VIDEO: A recap of food hygiene and safety laws
- VIDEO: The benefits of having high food hygiene and safety standards
- VIDEO: A reminder of your responsibilities regarding food hygiene and safety
Who is this course for?
Head chefs, waiters or front-of-house employees working in and around food. Anyone who wants to improve their understanding of food hygiene and safety.
Level 2 refers to the type of food hygiene course and should not be confused with the RQF Level 2.
No formal requirements – just a desire to learn about food hygiene and safety
This course is for you if you care about food hygiene and safety, own a food-related business or are interested in pursuing a career in:
- Culinary arts
- Culinary management
- Food retailing
- Food processing
- Food storage
- Cookery teaching
- Food delivery
Reed courses certificate of completion
Digital certificate - Included
Will be downloadable when all lectures have been completed
RoSPA assured Level 2 Food Hygiene & Safety Certificate & Transcript
Digital certificate - £25