Explore the UK financial services landscape, how financial firms and their products are regulated and how consumers are protected.
See what’s changed in the financial services industry in the last decade
The financial crisis of the late 2000s transformed the UK financial services industry. This online course takes stock and examines the industry today.
You will review the history of the industry leading up to the financial crisis; examine its institutions and the issues they now grapple with; walk down the financial supermarket aisles and see what’s changing with the products on offer; and find out how the industry is now regulated and protects consumers.
The Open University’s Centre for the Public Understanding of Finance created this course, with the generous support of True Potential LLP.
What topics will you cover?
- The historical development of financial services in the UK
- The 2007/08 financial crisis
- The financial services industry after the financial crisis
- The revisions to the regulation of the industry after the financial crisis
- Financial products and new product offerings for consumers
- The pensions revolution in the UK
- How financial firms are regulated
- How financial product sales are regulated
- How consumers are protected and helped in the financial market place
IMPORTANT! If you are aiming to use your study of courses in the Business and Finance Fundamentals program to obtain academic credit, please be aware that the final planned presentation of the Open University Assessment Course BXM191 Business and Finance Fundamentals in Practice starts October 2020. Please ensure that you allow yourself enough time to obtain all eight Certificates of Achievement from courses in the program before registering for the Assessment Course.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you'll be able to...
- Explore the origins and development of the UK financial services industry
- Assess and examine the UK financial services industry and the issues it faces following the 2007/08 financial crisis
- Evaluate and review the financial products available to consumers in the financial marketplace
- Identify and understand how financial services firms and financial product sales are regulated
- Explore the support, advice and guidance available to financial services consumers
Who is this course for?
For further information about registration, the final assessment course, your eligibility and the BA in Business Management, visit the Open University website.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.