HB Publications and Training International
This is an innovative approach to self-development of skills and abilities in the area of finance. It is aimed at public sector managers who are non-financial professionals who have financial responsibilities and would benefit from an understanding of financial accounts. This programme covers financial terminology, and the key financial statements; the income and expenditure account and the balance sheet. The current public and non-profit sectors have to ensure they are viable and the principles of accounting assist managers understand their organisation’s financial position.
We have developed a composite approach to learning for those who are time poor and find it difficult to attend training events. The programme combines online assessments with a topic specific book.
Our learners will engage with the programme by reading our book entitled “Finance for Non-Financial Public Sector Managers” which is the learning aid providing information on the topic along with exercises and self-development activities. This is available as a paperback or in PDF format. It provides suggested solutions for the exercises and provides the reader with basic underpinning knowledge.
They will also undertake an online assessment for which they have three attempts from a randomised question bank. They will be encouraged to take the assessment before reading the book and then will have two further attempts after reading the book to demonstrate an improvement in knowledge, skill and practical application.
- To improve the financial competence of learners in the area of financial accounting.
- To enhance both the underpinning knowledge of the subject and the ability to use financial information in the workplace.
- To advance the participants skills and abilities, and increase their effectiveness in their current or future job roles.
- To support the continuing development of management skills within the public and non-profit sectors with a view to maximising value for money from limited resources.
- To ensure that learners understand the importance of keeping financial records and the importance of accuracy and completeness in financial transactions
- To explain the elements of the income and expenditure account, and the definition of a trading account
- To explain the elements of the balance sheet including assets, liabilities, reserves and net worth
- To provide learners with an understanding of the importance of cash flow to an organisation and the key factors that impact on cash flow
- To demonstrate how to develop forecasts for both income and expenditure and cash flows, which support financial planning to achieve future objectives
- To give definitions of widely used financial terminology which will assist learners to understand the language used around finance and enhance their ability to communicate with finance officers and accountants.
KEEPING THE ACCOUNTS
Keeping Financial Records
The Financial Statements
THE INCOME AND EXPENDITURE ACCOUNT
Elements of an Income and Expenditure Account
Preparing the Income and Expenditure Account
Key Uses of the Income and Expenditure Account
The Trading Account
Preparing the Trading Account
Objective of the Trading Account
THE BALANCE SHEET
The Balance Sheet
Types of Asset
KEY FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
Rate of Return
Other Financial Indicators
THE IMPORTANCE OF CASH FLOW
How Cash is used in the Organisation
Timing of Cash Flows
FINANCIAL PLANNING AND CONTROL
Income and Expenditure Forecast
Cash Flow Forecast
Financial Control Techniques
KEY FINANCIAL TERMS
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for managers, budget holders, those responsible for the organisations resources, and most people working within a public sector or non profit environment. Understanding finance, and the financial principles needed to ensure organisations are viable and sustainable, are essential for those wishing to reach senior positions. This course is also a very good introduction for those undertaking management courses where finance is a core module.
Anyone working in a public sector or non profit environment who wishes to advance their careers. It is an excellent course to add to the CV when applying for jobs in this sector, and will assist in interviews for management posts.
Questions and answers
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.