Watch our video below, to learn more about this course
Our English writing skills course equips you with the skills you need to write simple, reader-focused material that is accurate and easy to read.
If you would like to improve the standard of your written work, our online English writing skills course is certainly for you.
This course is suitable if you are:
- required to send out written communications as part of your job
- sending out CVs and cover letters to potential employers
- a student about to start your career
- learning English as a second language
Starting with the basics of spelling, grammar and sentence structure, we guide you through the whole writing process.
We teach you how to eliminate jargon and streamline your writing, so you say more with fewer words!
You will also learn techniques to make sure all your written content conveys the right meaning.
You will benefit from full tutor support throughout and will have the opportunity to practice lots of different types of writing.
At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards, and a Learner Unit Summary, which lists the details of all the subjects they have completed as part of the course.
We will also email you the fully accredited CMP diploma in English writing skills, which is an industry recognised qualification that guarantees that your written English skills are of a recognised standard.
These awards will enable you to apply for writing jobs, develop your career, or help you in your current job role.
Lesson 01: The basics
- How to write attractive and effective text
- Write with your reader in mind
Lesson 02: Spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Use techniques and resources to improve your spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Use appropriate and adaptable English grammar in your writing
Lesson 03: Expressing information accurately
- Analyse words and phrases to convey the correct meaning
- Apply techniques to ensure written content is accurate
Lesson 04: Avoiding jargon
- Define what jargon is and how to avoid it
- Identify appropriate and inappropriate uses of jargon
- Write words, phrases and sentences to eliminate jargon
Lesson 05: Writing for the web
- Learn skills that make web content relevant, focused and easy to read
- Write effective web content
Lesson 06: Writing effective emails
- Explain the problems that emerge when writing and handling emails
- Apply email etiquette
- Use techniques that will make emails consistent, effective and readable
Lesson 07: Letters and correspondence
- State why etiquette is important when writing business letters
- List the main points of etiquette needed for business letters
- Build the content of a letter from a skeleton
- Write an effective covering letter for a job application
Lesson 08: Writing summaries
- Identify when summaries are useful
- Prepare a document for summarising
- Reduce the number of words and prioritise the facts in a summary
Lesson 09: Persuasive writing
- When persuasive writing skills are needed
- Apply effective persuasive writing techniques
Lesson 10: Writing reports
- Why reports are used
- What most reports contain
- Plan, structure and write an effective a report
Lesson 11: Proofreading your work
- Effective techniques for checking your work
- Proofread your work on screen
Online courses are different. But most people find they are more effective and convenient than face-to-face study.
You study when, and where you want to. The duration of this course is approximately 3 months. You fit your studies around your lifestyle, and study at a pace you're completely comfortable with, it doesn't matter if you take longer than 3 months - there is no expiry date.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wants to improve their written English skills.
No experience or previous qualifications are required for this course. It is available to people of all ages and abilities.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.