Drugs, Solvents and Alcohol Abuse Counselling Level 3
Pay monthly for this course in full or monthly and enrol from £25.
- Exam(s) / assessment(s) is included in price
- Tutor is available to students
Being able to work with people who have drug, solvents and alcohol dependencies takes a special approach from a counsellor. This type of counselling is very serious and it can be incredibly difficult to make a breakthrough with clients. This course covers the requirements of drug counsellors and how to approach substance abusers in order to tackle addiction.
About this Course
Working with people that suffer from addiction can be very challenging for counsellors and this course is perfect to learn the necessary skills that should be employed in this role. The course covers many different counselling types and explains ways of working with people that suffer from addiction in order to rehabilitate and tackle their issues.
Study Time:100 hours
Enrolment length:12 months
Entry Requirements:None Specific
Upon completion of this qualification, students are awarded an ABC Awards Level 3 certificate and an OLC Diploma. All certification fees are included in your course fees.
To gain the Drugs, Solvents and Alcohol Abuse Counselling Level 3 you will need to submit and pass all of the tutor marked assignments. There are 6 assignments in the course and no need to purchase any textbooks as we provide all of the lessons and materials required to learn the syllabus.
There is no formal exam and the certification fee is included in the course fees.
This course assesses the following units:
Unit 1: The counselling relationship
- Exploring substance misuse
- Review of counselling skills and theory
- The psychodynamic approach
- The behavioural and cognitive approach
- The humanist approach
- What is dependence?
- Why do people become addicted?
- Theories specific to substance dependence
- The counselling relationship and ethical considerations
Unit 2: Substance abuse
- Classification and effects of psychoactive drugs
- Brain physiology
- Drug laws
- Working with substance misusers
- Approaching and assessing situations
Unit 3: Alcohol abuse
- Introducing alcohol abuse
- Factors that influence consumption
- Alcohol terminology
- Working with people who have alcohol related problems
- Models and approaches
- AUDIT tests
- The cycle of change model
- Specific issues with alcohol misusers
Unit 4: The cognitive approach
- Cognitive approach theory
- F.Skinner and operant conditioning
- Social learning theory
- Behaviour and learning review
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Case formulation
- Discussions about the cognitive approach
Unit 5: The psychodynamic approach
- Psychodynamic approach theory
- The psychosexual stages of development
- Carl Jung
- Ego psychology and object relations theory
- Brief psychodynamic therapy
- Limitations of the approach
Unit 6: The person-centred approach
- Rogers and the person-centred approach
- Maslow’s hierarchy of needs
- The existential approach
- Pros and cons of the person-centred approach
This course can be taken over a 12 month period but you can complete it as fast or as slowly as you wish.
The most important tool that all of our students have at their disposal is their tutor. When studying for a course with us you are assigned a personal tutor with indepth knowledge and experience in your chosen subject.
You are strongly advised to make use of your tutors expertise and ask questions about the course content. Your assignments are marked by your personal tutor and detailed feedback is given. As well as this your tutor will provide you with pointers and advice on where you can improve- this helps you to get the most from your courses and constantly improve your skills.
All of our students are given access to our online campus through their own personal login and password. Once logged in you can access your course materials, lessons, resources and assignments in your own time. Assignments are uploaded through your account and the process is easy intuitive. Our online campus includes:
- 24/7/365 access to all of your course materials- all lessons, assignments and resources are available from the moment you enrol
- Instant access to your course after you enrol- start studying immediately!
- Integrated chat and messaging systems so that you can contact your tutor
- Online assignment uploads to save time in returning marks and feedback.
- Links to further resources and information available on courses
- Self-led learning on all courses- study in your own time and work through your assignments at your own pace
- Safe e-portfolio of your work is kept under lock and key on our secure servers
- Progress bar to show the work you have completed and how many tasks you still have to complete on your course
- Detailed help centre with step-by-step instructions on getting the most from your course and how to upload assignments and contact your tutor
To pass this course learners must pass 6 assignments. These are completed after navigating through the corresponding lessons and writing your answers to assignment questions. Once these have been read and marked by your personal tutor, feedback and marks are provided to students which contain helpful tips to improve work in future assignments.
All of our courses are allocated plenty of time for students to complete their studies and all materials are self-led so that you can complete the course at your own pace. Should you require additional time on one of our courses you can extend your enrolment by 30 days for an additional fee of £60.
As well as this we operate a 14 day money back guarantee on every one of our qualifications- that’s how confident we are of how you will love studying with us!
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.