Birmingham City University, Faculty of Business, Law and Social Sciences
Add to basket or enquire
Our online Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) course is intended to assist career professionals who wish to enhance, contribute to and transform practice. It is a professional doctorate completed on a part-time (Executive) basis. An internationally established highest level qualification, the course enables you to earn the title of Doctor without putting your career on hold.
The course will enhance your professional capabilities, credibility and standing, and you will contribute to practice through action research.
What's covered in the course?
The DBA is designed to help you apply action research-based thinking to ideas in practice and work, or practice based problems whilst deepening and broadening your understanding of application to professional practice.
You will also develop essential research skills which will enable you to play a leading role in strategic and operational development, policy formation and evaluation in practice.
Our DBA is aimed at enhancing the level of professional capabilities and credibility of practising professionals, and the research undertaken on the course is focused on contributing to, and transforming, practice.
The course combines workshops, research based activities and a substantial research enquiry thesis.
What Our Students Say
“The DBA programme at Birmingham City University was a big step, but definitely one worth taking. As a way of consolidating the learning that anyone who is successful in business has to do, it is unrivalled. Learning to think and act like a researcher whilst maintaining a business perspective adds value in so many aspects of a business career. Achieving the designation of 'Dr' is the icing on the cake that visibly sets you apart from your peers. It is hard work and it takes time, but the return on that investment is life-changing.”
Dr Deb Bannigan
Portfolio Executive - CEO, Chair, NED
Why Choose Us?
- Our flexible online delivery means that you can study with us from anywhere in the world, at a time that suits you. See ‘course in depth’ to find out more.
- On our course you will gain a professional focus and practice based experience of action research and its application to practice, ensuring you are equipped to make an impact in or accelerate your career or standing.
- You will have the opportunity to work in conjunction with our thought-provoking supervisors who will guide you to gain specialist insight into your chosen field(s).
- Candidate support is at the forefront of our approach, with everything designed to give you the skills you need to succeed.
- You will be able to work on exciting projects for real-life clients through our Business Advice Centre, giving you exposure to the challenges and issues faced by businesses as well as the chance to develop successful solutions. Opportunities are available with local, regional, national and even global businesses such as BMW.
- The Centre also offers expert support for your own entrepreneurial ideas, so you can start planning your own start-up or take your existing business to the next level. Following graduation, you will have the opportunity to apply for STEAMhouse Business Incubator membership.
To join the DBA programme, you must have completed an MA, MSc or MBA degree in a particular area of business-related professional practice and have at least 5 years related professional practice experience, as well as being employed in the professional capacity that you propose to study.
You must have the formal agreement and active co-operation of the organisation where the DBA studies are to take place.
A full research proposal is not required as you will build this during the first year. We do however need to know that you have a level of clarity on what your research is and how you would access the research opportunity.
Currently there are no reviews for this course. Be the first to leave a review.