South London College
Add to basket or enquire
To our learners
The Corona Virus (COVID-19) outbreak is one of the most potent threats that is endangering human lives every moment. We are indebted to the healthcare workers battling the disease on the front lines with complete self-sacrifice for our wellbeing.
To our learners
The Corona Virus (COVID-19) outbreak is one of the most potent threats that is endangering human lives every moment. We are indebted to the healthcare workers battling the disease on the front lines with complete self sacrifice for our wellbeing.
Does your work involve children? Or are you aspiring to work with children? If so, this Diploma in Caring for Children and Young People – Level 2 should hold your attention. This diploma course is developed to guide you on how to care for children and young people and is ideal if you wish to get into or already in the childcare or related industry. This course, with its 5 detailed modules, will make working with children comparatively easy, given you have a basic knowledge in childcare or child development.
It is important to take over various duties and responsibilities while working with children to ensure a safe environment. These duties and responsibilities, along with the role of a childcare professional, will be discussed in depth though this course, after which you will be guided on how to create a safe and secure environment for children by promoting various safety measures. This course will also cover various accidents that could happen in a childcare setting and the measures one can take to avoid them.
The other aspect that has to be keenly observed by a childcare professional is the health and nutritional intake of children and young people. This course will go a great extent to help you understand the importance of nutrition, health and balanced diets in children, followed by guidelines on how to ensure adequate nutritional intake and hygienic practices in children. This esteemed certification is a guaranteed way to get a high paying, progressive job role in childcare or a related industry.
. The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. This means that Global Edulink* has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet defined quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to a regulated qualification* but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills gained. The Learner Unit Summary may be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this subject. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 2 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by Global Edulink* to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications. ABC Awards & Certa Awards endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
Eligible for TOTUM card - TOTUM is the #1 student discount card and app giving you access to exclusive student deals on food and fashion, tech and travel and everything in between.
*South London College is an approved reselling partner for ABC Awards courses under Global Edulink
*Regulated qualification refers to those qualifications that are regulated by Ofqual / CCEA / Qualification Wales
You will be Eligible for 14 days immediate access to an Accredited Course from South London College.
- Check the suitability of the course compared to your requirement.
- Free 14 day temporary access to Study materials and more.
- You can upgrade temporary access to fully paid access at the end of or before 14 days.
- Complete your qualification and upgrade your skills to advance your career
- No Commitment. No Credit Card required for the 14 Days access.
What Will I Learn?
- Gain a clear understanding of the job role as someone caring for children and young people and the responsibilities surrounding this role.
- Learn how to create a safe and secure environment for children.
- Promote safety measures and safeguard children from accidents.
- Gain an understanding of nutrition and healthy and balanced diets for children.
- Promote health and hygiene in children and young people.
- Gaining a qualification in learning to care for children will enable individuals to have a career in this field.
Module 1: Safeguarding the Welfare of Children and Young People
Unit 01 - Safeguarding the Welfare of Children and Young People – Part 1
- Best interests
- Views of the child
- Multi-agency working
- The community
- Safeguarding children’s board
- A child in need
- Mobile phones
Unit 02 - Safeguarding the Welfare of Children and Young People – Part 2
- Caring for sick children
- Procedures for children with allergies
- Procedures for children with allergies
- Oral medication
- Lifesaving medication & invasive treatments
- Procedures for children who are sick or infectious
- Reporting of ‘notifiable diseases’
- Hiv/aids/hepatitis procedure
- Nits and head lice
- First aid
- Assessing the situation
- Assessing the casualty
- Breathing for the casualty
- Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (cpr)
- The recovery position
- Common injuries, how they are caused and how to treat them
- Burns or scalds
- Febrile convulsions
- Common illnesses, symptoms and treatment
- High temperature
- Glass test
- Recording accidents and emergencies
- Personal emergency plans - childminders
- Personal emergency plan
- Emergency procedure
- Fire drills and evacuation procedures
- Evacuation plan
- Security incidents
- Maintaining children’s safety and security on premises
- Missing children
- Missing child
Unit 3 - Safeguarding the Welfare of Children and Young People – Part 3
- Types, signs and symptoms of child abuse
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Helping children to protect themselves against abuse
- Abuse of children with disabilities
- Monitoring, assessing and recording abuse
- The victim
- Recognition of bullying
- How you can help a child who is being bullied?
- Strategies which could be used to help a child who is being bullied
- Spotting the signs of bullying
- Childminders –protecting yourself when working alone
- Why childminders are vulnerable against allegations
- How to protect yourself and your family from allegations
- Working in partnership with parents
- Respecting confidentiality and information sharing
Module 2: The Importance of Play for Early Learning
- Growth and development
- Factors which affect growth and development
- Types of play
- Exploratory play
- Physical play
- Imaginative play
- Competitive and non-competitive games and activities
- Enjoying books and reading
- The role of the adult in providing play
Module 3: Use Food And Nutrition Information To Plan A Healthy Diet
- The main food groups
- The eat well plate
- Childhood health problems associated with being verweight
- Good health and five a day recommendations
- Body mass index
- Food hygiene and food safety – good hygiene practices in the kitchen
- Shopping for food
- Best before’ and ‘use by’ dates
- Storing food safely’s and don’ts of refridgeration
- Food poisoning
- Nutrition for children from birth to 16 years–weaning and feeding babies
- Breast feeding
- Bottle feeding
- Healthy eating for children between 1 and 3 years
- Healthy eating for pre-school children between 3 and 5 years
- Healthy eating for school age children between 6 and 12 years
- Healthy eating for teenagers
- Key nutrients and vitamins – benefits and limitations of key nutrients
- Carbohydrates – macronutrient
- Protein – macronutrient
- Fats – macronutrient
- Minerals – micronutrients
- Non-nutrient foods
- He balance of good health (bgh)
- Improving nutrition and reducing health problems in children
- Planning healthy meals and snacks
- Seven day menu plan for a child aged eight years
- Planning snacks
- Digestion - the structure of the digestive system
- Changes that occur to food as it passes through the digestive system
- Food labels
- High, medium and low fat, sugar and salt content
- The complexity of food labels
- Dietary changes –factors influencing people’s food choices
- Barriers to dietary change
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Identifying help and support
- The principles of exercise
Module 4: Young Children's Development
- The development of children from birth to six years
- Factors influencing a child’s development
- Marriage or relationship problems of the child’s parents
- The environment the child is brought up in
- Any health problems the child may suffer
- Inappropriate or inadequate simulation
- Learning difficulties
- Loss or bereavement of a close family member
- Sensory impairment
- The basic needs of a child
- The role of the key person
- Important key terms to remember
- Important key terms to remember: ‘the three “r”s’
- Working in partnership with professionals
- A unique child + positive relationships + enabling environments = learning and development
Module 5: Accident Prevention and Fire Safety When Babysitting
- Identifying possible risks in the setting
- The hall, stairs and landing
- The kitchen
- The living room
- The bedrooms or sleeping areas
- The bathroom and toilet
- Risk assessment checklist for the hall, stairs & landing
The course will be directly delivered to you, and you have 12 months access to the online learning platform from the date you joined the course. The course is self-paced and you can complete it in stages, revisiting the lectures at any time.
Method of Assessment
At the end of the Diploma in Caring for Children and Young People Level 2 you will be evaluated through written assignments. In order to complete this programme successfully, all students are required to complete a series of assignments. The completed assignments must be submitted via the online portal. Your instructor will review and evaluate your work and provide your feedback based on how well you have completed your assignments.
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
Course Code: QLS-03771
Awarding body (Accreditation)
ABC Awards and Certa Awards have long-established reputations for providing high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. ABC Awards and Certa Awards combine over 180 years of expertise combined with a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards and Certa Awards also offer regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
Who is this course for?
- Nursery Workers and Nursery Nurses
- Child Minder and Nanny
- Anyone who wants to learn more about how to care for children and young people
- Learners should be age 19 or over, and must have a basic understanding of Maths, English, and ICT.
- A recognised qualification in any discipline.
- Nursery Worker- £7.34 per hour
- Childcare Worker – £7.40 per hour
- Day Care Worker – £7.44 per hour
- Nanny – £9,68 per hour
- Babysitter – £7.44 per hour
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
Other than the basic price are there any other expenses? Thank you,
Dear Linda Thank you very much for your query. There are no extra or hidden chargers. Exam(s) / assessment(s) is included in price. Regards, Student Support Team.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Are the certificates at an extra charge and how much would that be for hardcopy ? I`m not from the UK, would posting be a problem? Thank you.
Dear Nikili Thank you very much for your query. Please contact the servic provider to be aware about the price for overseas postal charge. An dit is possible for you to get it posted overseas with a small subscription. Regards, Student Support Team.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
A bit confused it says that you have access What are they referring to when they say you have 14 days access to the course media??
Dear Sir/Ma'am Thank you very much for your query. You will get Free 14 day temporary access to Study materials, and then you can upgrade temporary access to fully paid access at the end of or before 14 days. Hurry up to grab the discount, as it ends soon. Regards, Student Support Team.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.