Add to basket or enquire
It is rare to come across a dental clinic or office that functions efficiently in the absence of dental assistants. Dental assistants help dentists perform clinical procedures, manage patient care as well as oversee the administrative and clerical operations. Dental assistants are responsible for performing a range of functions and duties.
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major browsers / devices
What you will learn
- The different members of the dental team, their roles and responsibilities and how to work in a team environment
- The different skills and qualifications that you will require in order to become a dental assistant
- Different principles underlying organisation and operation of a dental office including administrative and clerical duties such as filing, computerisation of records and so on.
- Detailed insights into oral health, anatomy and hygiene as well as dental charting
- How to maintain health and safety standards in a dental office by complying with regulations and rules
- Communication techniques that will include interactions with patients, other healthcare professionals, colleagues and dentists. You will learn how to welcome a patient, provide information, clarify doubts and prepare the patients by making them comfortable
- How to provide chair-side assistance to the dentist by fabricating temporary restorations, cleaning and polishing removable dental appliances
- How to maintain infection control and protecting the dental team by following correct protocols
- How to manage instrumentation by sterilising and positioning instruments for easy access; passing instruments to the dentist during dental procedures and suctioning them
- How to select, mix and place materials on instruments as well as inside the patient’s mouth
- How to assist the dentist during medical and dental emergencies by maintaining CPR certifications and assisting with oxygen and drug supply
- Maintenance of dental equipment and operation according to manufacturer’s instructions, trouble-shooting, calling the manufacturer for repairs and evaluating new equipment
- How to manage inventory by checking stocks, anticipating requirements, placing and verifying orders
Benefits of taking this course:
The benefits of doing the dental assistant certificate course include:
- A clear understanding of your duties and responsibilities in the dental office or clinic; you will develop improved communication techniques and will be able to help patients quell their fears and feel at ease
- You will also develop a mixed set of skills including interpersonal and technical skills. The reinforcement of different techniques will help you provide able and efficient assistance to the dentist. Moreover, you will become skilful at performing tasks such as taking oral impressions and radiographs etc. Competent dental assistants significantly increase the efficiency levels of the dentists and contribute to the overall success of the clinic
The modules are designed to provide maximum information explained in detail and includes all the important information that you need in order to acquire competency as a dental assistant. The course will provide you with the training necessary to make your knowledge meaningful and necessary. You will acquire the principles, values and understanding required to help you excel in your chosen career.
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down into 10 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?
The pass mark for the test is 70%. If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it.
How long does it take to complete the course?
We estimate that the course will take about 14 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.Course Content
- Module 1 : Introduction to the Dental Profession, Dental Team and Standards of Practice
- Module 2 : Standards of Dental Practice in the UK
- Module 3 : Standards of Dental Practice in the UK (Part II)
- Module 4 : Dental Assistant Skills, Duties and Qualifications and How to Maintain and Organise a Dental Office
- Module 5 : Oral Health and Preventative Techniques
- Module 6 : Dental Terminology, Brushing and Flossing Techniques
- Module 7 : Fluoride and Oral Nutrition in Dentistry
- Module 8 : General, Head and Neck Anatomy and Physiology and Tooth Morphology
- Module 9 : Patient Care, Dental Charting and Chair-Side Assistance (I)
- Module 10 : Chair Side Assistance (II), Anaesthesia/Sedation and Ergonomics
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
Does the dental practice accept this as a qualification?
This covers all of the theory required but it will vary from one dental practice to another but it may help you secure a trainee position.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Will I need to go to college/ uni to become a dental nurse?
Yes, this is an introductory theoretical course only. It does not provide any practical experience.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Do you need any qualifications like GCSE ? I have fineshed school in my country so are this courses ok for me ?
No. There are no prerequisites for this CPD certified introductory course. We estimate that the course will take about 14 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Can you register to GDC with this certificate?
This is an introductory course designed to teach you the fundamentals of becoming a Dental Assistant. It is a 14 hour online program. Therefore, it won't provide access to any professional certification or body; it's not designed to do that. Dental assistants don't actually need a certification; this course is designed to help you get the interview by proving a basic CPD certified level of training.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.