Dental Assistant Certificate - Best Seller - CPD Certified
It is rare to come across a dental clinic or office that functions efficiently in the absence of dental assistants. Dental assistants help dentists perform clinical procedures, manage patient care as well as oversee the administrative and clerical operations. Dental assistants are responsible for performing a range of functions and duties.
What you will learn
In this course, you will learn:
- The different members of the dental team, their roles and responsibilities and how to work in a team environment
- The different skills and qualifications that you will require in order to become a dental assistant
- Different principles underlying organisation and operation of a dental office including administrative and clerical duties such as filing, computerisation of records and so on.
- Detailed insights into oral health, anatomy and hygiene as well as dental charting
- How to maintain health and safety standards in a dental office by complying with regulations and rules
- Communication techniques that will include interactions with patients, other healthcare professionals, colleagues and dentists. You will learn how to welcome a patient, provide information, clarify doubts and prepare the patients by making them comfortable
- How to provide chair-side assistance to the dentist by fabricating temporary restorations, cleaning and polishing removable dental appliances
- How to maintain infection control and protecting the dental team by following correct protocols
- How to manage instrumentation by sterilising and positioning instruments for easy access; passing instruments to the dentist during dental procedures and suctioning them
- How to select, mix and place materials on instruments as well as inside the patient’s mouth
- How to assist the dentist during medical and dental emergencies by maintaining CPR certifications and assisting with oxygen and drug supply
- Maintenance of dental equipment and operation according to manufacturer’s instructions, trouble-shooting, calling the manufacturer for repairs and evaluating new equipment
- How to manage inventory by checking stocks, anticipating requirements, placing and verifying orders
Benefits of taking this course:
The benefits of doing the dental assistant certificate course include:
- A clear understanding of your duties and responsibilities in the dental office or clinic; you will develop improved communication techniques and will be able to help patients quell their fears and feel at ease
- You will also develop a mixed set of skills including interpersonal and technical skills. The reinforcement of different techniques will help you provide able and efficient assistance to the dentist. Moreover, you will become skilful at performing tasks such as taking oral impressions and radiographs etc. Competent dental assistants significantly increase the efficiency levels of the dentists and contribute to the overall success of the clinic
The modules are designed to provide maximum information explained in detail and includes all the important information that you need in order to acquire competency as a dental assistant. The course will provide you with the training necessary to make your knowledge meaningful and necessary. You will acquire the principles, values and understanding required to help you excel in your chosen career.
Module 1 : Introduction to the Dental Profession, Dental Team and Standards of Practice
- Definition of dentistry
- A brief history of dentistry
- Types of dentists
- Overview of the dental profession in the UK
Module 2 : Standards of Dental Practice in the UK
- The General Dental Council (GDC) of UK
- Codes of ethics governing the dental profession
- Prioritising patient requirements
- Non-verbal patient communication
Module 3 : Standards of Dental Practice in the UK (Part II)
- Obtaining patient consent for dental treatment
- Obtaining consent for child patients
- Protection and maintenance of patient information and confidentiality
- Dental patient records
Module 4 : Dental Assistant Skills, Duties and Qualifications and How to Maintain and Organise a Dental Office
- Skills, qualifications and duties of a dental assistant
- Patient interaction in the front office and treatment room
- Outlining the proper procedure for responding to an incoming call
- An overview of office business technology
Module 5 : Oral Health and Preventative Techniques
- Preventative dentistry and patient motivation for different age groups
- Formation of plaque, causes, effects and preventative measures
- Oral hygiene aids, including mouth rinses and other inter-dental aids
- Application and usage of disclosing agents
Module 6 : Dental Terminology, Brushing and Flossing Techniques
- Dental terminology (important dental terms)
- Types of manual and powered toothbrushes
- Vibratory, orbital and scrub brushing techniques
- Care for dentures, implants and prosthetics
Module 7 : Fluoride and Oral Nutrition in Dentistry
- Background of fluoride in relation to the dental industry
- Effects of fluoride on dental plaque and tooth decay
- Fluoride toxicity and forms of fluoride
- Fluoride applications and rinses
Module 8 : General, Head and Neck Anatomy and Physiology and Tooth Morphology
- Introduction to organ systems in the human body
- Respiratory, digestive, immune and endocrine systems
- Skeletal, muscular, Integumentary and nervous systems
- Dental anatomy and morphology
Module 9 : Patient Care, Dental Charting and Chair-Side Assistance (I)
- How to obtain medical history and perform a preliminary clinical examination
- How to help the dentist during procedures
- How to perform assessments of vital signs and document them
- Dental charts, numbering and important tips
Module 10 : Chair Side Assistance (II), Anaesthesia/Sedation and Ergonomics
- How to hold and transfer instruments
- One-handed and two-handed transfer methods
- How to transfer mouth mirrors, explorers, cotton-pliers, hand-pieces and scissors
- The palm, pen, modified pen and thumb-to-nose grasps
Who is this course for?
There is no experience or previous qualifications required for enrolment on this course. It is available to all students, of all academic backgrounds.
Our Course is fully compatible with PC’s, Mac’s, Laptop, Tablet and Smartphone devices. Now more than ever people are using the internet while on the move so our course has been designed to be fully compatible on tablets and smartphones so you can access your course on wifi, 3G or 4G.
There is no time limit for completing this course, it can be studied in your own time at your own pace.
All tests are online and are taken either during or after the course, these are included in the price.
Questions and answers
No questions or answers have been posted about this course.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.