This criminology course provides a detailed and thorough introduction to the world of offender profiling, offering insightful teachings on its history and origin. It will take you through the different types of an offender, and the different types of profiling that correspond to each type of offence. By the end of this course, you will know how to create a detailed and accurate offender profile.
- Includes 49 lectures with 3 hours of video content & supporting handout materials
- Learn how to discern information about a potential offender by analysing a crime scene.
- Includes a 92-Page Handbook detailing all aspects of the course and how to get the most out of the lecture material.
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of offender profiling, and its place in the future of criminology.
This is an ideal course for anyone with a burgeoning interest in criminology and offender profiling. Whether you consider yourself an expert or a novice on this topic, this course is designed to teach you more about this fascinating world!
Course instructor Teresa Clyne is a legal and forensic psychology consultant. She is a lecturer in interdisciplinary law and forensic psychology at the University of Portsmouth and has written several publications, including 'A Plain English Guide to Business Law'. Teresa is an expert in her field and continues to share her teachings with students worldwide.
- Introduction to this course
- Handout - Course Overview
- Handout - Course Objectives
The History of Offender Profiling
- Handout - Course Handbook
- Types of profiling
- The history of offender profiling
- Serial offenders: Developmental problems
- A history of Witchcraft
- The Salem witch trials
- Identifying witches
- Judicium Dei (Judgement of God)
- Water trials
- Fire trials
- Crime analysis - who did what to whom?
- Intelligence analysis
- Types of crime analysis
- Crime Linkage
Current Approaches to Offender Profiling
- The difference in approach between the UK and the USA
- David Canter
- Profiling techniques
- Investigative psychology
- Typological profiling
- Typographical offender profiling
- Psychological profiling
- Geographical profiling
- Handout - Activity 1, profile the crime scene
Profiling the Offender
- Profiling the offender
- Stages of profiling
- Psychologist place in profiling
- Traits of offenders
- Types of serial killers
- Serial, mass and spree killers
- Types of annihilators
- Ireland's serial killers
- More on the history of Irish serial killers
- Characteristics of serial killers
- Modus Operandi and Signature
- Handout - Activity 2, identify the type killer in the crime scene
Profiles of Serial Killers
- Jack The Ripper
- Cayetano Santos Godino
- The Babes of Inglewood
- Adolf Hitler
- The Mad Bomber of New York
- The Yorkshire Ripper
The Future of Offender Profiling
- The future of offender profiling
- Strengths and weaknesses of offender profiling
- Conclusion to the course
- Quiz - End of course assessment
Why Choose OfCourse Learning?
- All courses are taught by verified experts
- Students enjoy 24/7 access to their courses
- Courses can be accessed on any device
- Students get lifetime access to their courses so they can work at their own pace
- On completion, students receive a course certificate from a recognised educational institution
- Become a part of a global learning community where you can talk with teachers and students about the course
Who is this course for?
A perfect course for anyone with an interest in criminology who wants to learn more about the world of offender profiling. It is suitable for those looking to work in the legal field or in the field of law enforcement.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Learn the fundamentals to forge a career as a criminologist or work in the world of offender profiling.
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
Grace Bonolo asked:
I have a National Certificate in Resolving of Crime (Corporative investigations Auditing (ID 59989) on NQN 5. WIll I be credited for the modules done
Hi Grace, Many thanks for your message. This course is designed as an introductory to the topic and is not accredited by a 3rd party. Hope this helps, TravisThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Where would this qualification get me? Is It recognised nationally and will i be able to study further after this course? Thank you.
Hello Kay, Thanks for getting in touch and your interest in OfCourse! All of our courses are delivered by experienced and accredited experts in their industry. You will receive a signed certificate of completion of the course, showing your mark if the course is assessed. Many professional bodies and insurers accept these certificates, but it is always worth checking in advance. Good luck with your course! TravisThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.