Association of Learning
Add to basket or enquire
Look into the minds of criminals with our fascinating Criminal Psychology endorsed Course. As a learner studying this course, you will have the chance to evaluate criminal behaviour and what caused the perpetrator to commit the crime.
You will be able to analyse the psychological and social theories relevant to our own understanding of criminality and consider a career in areas such as, the police, social work or similar.
Split into 7 units, every element of this course seeks to expand your understanding of Criminal Psychology, so you can achieve the theoretical knowledge you need to apply these skills within real and practical settings.
From understanding the criminal mind to profiling offenders and geographic profiling, theoretical & practical approaches, confidentiality, mental health and violence, crisis management and perception, memory and eyewitness testimony; by the end of this course you’ll feel confident in your ability to work with your patients to further understand their minds.
This course will:
- Help you to develop a strong foundation of knowledge and competency that can be transferred directly into the workplace.
- Allow you to study from home – all course materials will be sent straight to your door, enabling you to fit your studies around your obligations.
- Challenge your perceptions of Criminal Psychology, giving you ample opportunities to demonstrate your competency and comprehension of the course materials.
- Enable you to study on your own terms – no classrooms, no strict deadlines and no exams.
Unit 1: Theories of Crime
- Psychodynamic theories
- Differential Association and Behaviourist theories
- Social learning theory & Social factors
- Effects of the media on learning
- Control theories & Labelling theory
- Personality and crime & Gender differences and crime
- Biological theories of offending & Somatotype theories of offending
- Genetic factors & Chromosomal studies
Unit 2: Substance Misuse and Violent Offences
- Substance misuse and crime
- An illegal act
- Typology of drug abusers & Heroin – a historical context
- Crime, violence and aggression
- Frustration, violence and aggression
- Explanation models
Unit 3: Sex Offences and Stalking
- Rape, sexual assault, sexual violence and sex offending
- Risk factors & Theoretical explanations
- Evolutionary and feminist perspectives on rape
- Measuring arson & Possible motives
- Developmental stages of fire-setting & Evolutionary psychology of fire learning
- Social & environmental theories
- Typology of stalkers & Victims of stalkers
Unit 4: Serial Murder and Terrorism
- Mass murderers
- Serial murder & Explanations for serial murder
- Serial killer case study
- Defining terrorism and Different terror groups
- Terrorism research & Psychological aspects of terrorism
Unit 5: Profiling Offenders and Geographic Profiling
- The history of profiling
- Profiling & the FBI
- Organised/disorganised offender
- The typological approach & Changes in the investigation of crime
- Investigative psychology & The behavioural investigative advisor
- The North American approach & The British approach
- Differences in approach
Unit 6: Mental Health
- Dissociative Identity Disorder
Unit 7: Interviewing, Deception and Eyewitness Testimony
- Investigative interviewing- the suspect & Investigative Interviewing- the witness
- Cognitive interview & Enhanced Cognitive Interview
- Ekman’s theory of lie detection
- Statement validity analysis (SVA)
- Criticisms & Countermeasures
- Polygraph & sex offenders
- Perception, memory and eyewitness testimony
- Personal perception and memory
The Criminal Psychology programme of learning is assessed through a series of written assignments, which will need to be submitted to your personal tutor for marking and feedback to confirm that you have met the learning outcomes. There are no external examinations required.
There is no requirement to have any background knowledge or qualifications to complete/enrol on this course and your tutor will provide support from day one! If you do have any additional learning requirements, please let your tutor know as they will then be able to tailor their feedback and support around your requirements.
Questions and answers
Certificate of completion
Digital certificate - Included
Currently there are no reviews for this course. Be the first to leave a review.