Location & dates
Sweeping changes to the law and practice of the Court of Protection in 2007 radically overhauled the geography of this growing area of practice. This course is not just for those who advise elderly clients but also will assist those who do personal injury work for those victims who cannot manage their own property and affairs. Aside from looking at the law and procedure of powers of attorney you will also consider the MCA 2005 more broadly. This course will look at the role of The Court of Protection and an overview of the forms required by the Court of Protection to appoint a deputy. Practical case studies will be covered in the course.
Venue may change up to 14-days before the course start date. Enquire for dates.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the main changes made by the Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Identify the different types of Lasting Powers of Attorney and be able to advise on the benefits and drawbacks of each.
- Draft clauses for Powers with confidence.
- Understand the registration process and why it is important.
- Develop the skills to complete the required forms to register a Lasting Power of Attorney
- Appreciate the importance of advanced decisions and statutory will applications.
- Recognise the formalities for and role of a Living Will.
- Understand when a deputy application can be made to the Court of Protection and which forms are required.
Under the SRA’s new approach to continuing competence, solicitors are expected to use the Statement of Solicitor Competence to identify and address their learning and development needs. The competence statement requires the following competencies:
- A - Ethics, professionalism and judgement
- B - Technical legal practice
- C - Working with other people
- D - Managing themselves and their own work
Who is this course for?
This course will be of benefit to legal practitioners new to this area of law. The course will suit fee earners from the senior partner to unqualified staff.
Questions and answers
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.