South London College
Add to basket or enquire
Diploma in Basic Concrete - Level 3
Concrete is a construction material that is used globally to build commercial and residential buildings. Its many advantages such as the increase in strength over time, cost-effectiveness, durability and energy efficiency has made it a desired choice over wood and a mandatory skill to get into or progress within the construction and engineering industry.
If you came here wanting to master basic concrete, you are at the right place as this Diploma in Basic Concrete – Level 3 will enlighten you thoroughly on concrete and its application. This basic course will first relay the fundamentals of concrete, its properties and uses. You will then be briefed on the concrete that was used in the Roman period and on the Portland cement to give a background to the subject.
After learning about mineral admixtures and blended cements, this program will educate you on concrete production, concrete slump test and concrete curing. The course will also focus on the environmental, safety and health issues related to concrete and on the hand mixing procedures of concrete to ensure a safe working environment. By the end of this course, you will have a significant basic knowledge on concrete to further your education or training in the subject.
Diploma In Excavation & Trenching - Level 4
Excavation and trenching are the procedures of digging up and creating excavations in the ground for various purposes. It can be dug up either to install underground infrastructure or to excavate ancient ruins. Either ways, excavation and trenching procedures are risky activities that could turn fatal, which is why South London College has developed this Diploma in Excavation and Trenching – Level 4 to equip you with the relevant knowledge and skills needed to embark on a related career.
This course will extensively educate you on the excavation facts, personal protection systems and excavation and trenching guidelines that has to be followed while digging up the excavations. Since excavation and trenching is highly risky, it is vital for you to be aware of the excavation, trenching and confined space hazards. Therefore, this program has also included a few modules that will focus on this aspect, along with an insight into the irritant (corrosive) atmosphere and soil classification.
The OSHA report that has to be followed by every employers will also be presented through this course, after which you will learn how to successfully handle an OSHA inspection. This course will also explain you about ladder safety, confined space safety, confined space entry program, confined space entry permit and confined space duties and responsibilities and hence, is ideal for anyone wishing to get into or progress within civil engineering or archeology.
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. This means that Global Edulink* has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet defined quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to a regulated qualification* but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills gained. The Learner Unit Summary may be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this subject. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by Global Edulink* to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications. ABC Awards & Certa Awards endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
*South London College is an approved reselling partner for ABC Awards courses under Global Edulink
*Regulated qualification refers to those qualifications that are regulated by Ofqual / CCEA / Qualification Wales
What Will I Learn?
- Gain a fundamental understanding of concrete, properties and its uses.
- Learn about how concrete was used in the Roman period.
- Gain insight into Portland cement.
- Learn about mineral Admixtures and blended cements.
- Have a clear understanding of concrete production, concrete slump test and concrete curing.
- Understand about the environmental, safety and health Issues related to concrete.
- Learn the procedures on hand mixing concrete.
- Learn about excavation facts, personal protection systems and excavation and trenching guidelines.
- Gain insight into excavation, trenching hazards and excavation and confined space hazards.
- Learn about irritant (corrosive) atmosphere and soil classification.
- Have a clear understanding of OSHA report and how to handle an OSHA Inspection.
- Learn about ladder safety and confined space safety.
- Learn about the confined space entry program, confined space entry permit and confined space duties and responsibilities
COURSE CURRICULUM - Diploma in Basic Concrete - Level 3
- Concrete Introduction
- Roman Period
- Portland Cement
- Mineral Admixtures and Blended Cements
- Concrete Production
- Concrete Slump Test
- Concrete Properties
- Making Concrete
- Concrete Block
- Hand Mixing Concrete Procedures
COURSE CURRICULUM - Diploma In Excavation & Trenching - Level 4
- Stackable Trench Boxes
- Competent Person
- Personnel Protection Systems
- Commonly Found Hazards
- Soil Classification And Identification
- Protective System Requirements
- Shoring Systems
- Protection Of Employees In Excavations
- Excavation And Confined Space Hazards
- Irritant (Corrosive) Atmospheres
- One-Call Center Or Bluestakes
- General Gas Safety
- Soil Classification Section
- Daily Excavation Checklist Example
- Handling An Osha Inspection
- Osha Inspection Report Example
- Ladder Safety Section
- Confined Space Section
- Confined Space
- Permitted Confined Space Entry Program
- Confined Space Duties
The course will be directly delivered to you, and you have 12 months access to the online learning platform from the date you joined the course. The course is self-paced and you can complete it in stages, revisiting the lectures at any time.
Method of Assessment
This online course will be evaluated through written assignments. In order to complete this programme successfully, all students are required to complete a series of assignments. The completed assignments must be submitted via the online portal. Your instructor will review and evaluate your work and provide your feedback based on how well you have completed your assignments.
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
Awarding body (Accreditation)
ABC Awards and Certa Awards have long-established reputations for providing high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. ABC Awards and Certa Awards combine over 180 years of expertise combined with a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards and Certa Awards also offer regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
Who is this course for?
- Job seekers
- Anyone interested in learning about basic concrete
Learners should be age 19 or over, and must have a basic understanding of Maths, English, and ICT.
- Constructor - £35,000 per annum
- Building Maintenance Engineer - £28,866 per annum
- Civil Engineer - £30,742 per annum
- Building Manager - £30,888 per annum
- Building Maintenance Worker - £9.69 per hour
- Construction Manager - £41,348 per annum
- Civil Design Engineer - £28,887 per annum
- Construction Foreman - £14.32 per hour
- Engineering Supervisor
Questions and answers
Currently there are no Q&As for this course.Be the first to ask a question.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.Leave a review
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.