Calligraphy is a type of visual art that focuses on the creative design and execution of lettering with the use of particular writing instruments. It utilizes linguistic signs to develop an aesthetic experience that is reminiscent of the different fine art cultures and histories that gave birth to this exciting practice.
Calligraphy, as a practice, requires a set of skills and techniques that are essential in order to show integrity, harmony, creativity, and ancestry in the positioning and inscribing of words. A solid knowledge of this art is beneficial to master this intricate practice and establish a career as a calligraphy artist.
At the end of this course, students shall learn how to: (1) perform different hand lettering techniques; (2) understand the history and development of calligraphy; (3) be familiar with foundational minuscule and majuscules; (4) integrate some creative ideas and guidelines for the effective arrangement of letters; (5) understand the Uncial hand, uses of borders, types and placement of decoration; and (6) use illumination and produce beautifully designed posters and invitations.
To achieve these goals, this course shall make use of interactive materials to present the concepts of the topics to be discussed. Assessments shall be done after the entire course to check for knowledge retention and understanding.
- Unit 1 - Introduction to Calligraphy
- Letter heights and structure
- Pen angle and basic strokes
- Unit 2 - Foundational Minuscules
- The origin of the hand
- Rounded Minuscules, Further Straight-Sided Minuscules, and serifs
- Unit 3 - Foundational Minuscule Part 2
- Letter height and pen angle
- Further variations in Letters
- Unit 4 - Foundational Hand
- Skeletal capitals and word texture
- Constructing numerals
- Unit 5 - Majuscules
- Foundational majuscules
- Rounded majuscules
- Unit 6 - The Layout
- Types of layout
- Margins and spacing
- Unit 7 - Introduction to the Uncial Hand
- Construct Uncial Letters
- Spacing Uncial Letters, Words and Lines
- Unit 8 - Uncial Hand – Part 2
- Writing in a circle in Uncial
- Bookplate wording and decoration
- Unit 9 - Borders
- Adding Kaleidoscope Full Border
- Placing Filigree Type Corner Border
- Unit 10 - What is Illumination?
- Tracing, colouring and outlining
- Illuminating the Letter
- Tracing, colouring and outlining
- Unit 11 - Posters and Invitations
- Finalizing the inside text
- Preparing the front of the invitation
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be awarded an IOLEN Certificate of Achievement from IOLEN Accreditation. This should help validate their learning experience and skill, and can be used as a resume builder.
This course is divided into several modules and is delivered online through our interactive learning management system. Students are given access to the learning portal where they can access the course 24/7. This gives them complete control over the pace of their learning while also enabling them to study from home, in their offices or from a laptop while travelling.
Normative or minimum period of study to complete this is 35 hours. Take note that this is only an estimate. The duration of completing the course still depends on the learner’s pace and ability to absorb information. Additionally, as the course is delivered online, learners have the options to divide and study the course in multiple session or go through it one go.
Learners will be given full access to this course for 12 months from the date of enrolment. During this period, learners are given the flexibility to complete the course at any-time.
- Allow you to keep up to date on the aspects of your career
- Give you an insight into your chosen career path
- Fill in the gaps of any knowledge you may not have
- Enhance your resume
- Show you are a committed learner
Questions and answers
No questions or answers have been posted about this course.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.