Our Bartender and Barista course will focus on practical training to equip you with the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in the bar, restaurant, or hospitality business. What used to be seen as just a part-time job has evolved into a long-term and viable career option, and there’s a huge market demand for experienced bartenders and baristas. It’s a perfect career choice for anyone who is passionate about wine and spirits or coffee, and there are plenty of perks - including flexible work hours, freedom to travel and work, and the opportunity to show off your creativity.
This course is a mix between practical training and theory, so you not only learn how to mix cocktails and serve coffees, you will also learn about the history, ingredients, and science of the trade.
We want to prepare you for life as a bartender or barista by giving you practical, hands-on training, as well as real-world tips and advice that you can use on the job . Upon completing this course, you’ll be ready to work in any bar, restaurant, hotel, or cafe, and you’ll have a few tricks up your sleeve to stand out from the crowd.
Tools and set-up
- Learn how to set up your bar
- Introduction to your tools and equipment
- Essential bar supplies
Setting the Stage
- Storing methods
- Hygiene and safety
- Garnishes and mixers
- Style and presentation tips
Mixology & Pouring
- Learn proper mixology techniques, including shaking, mixing, layering, blending, stirring, straining, dry shaking, muddling, throwing & building, and jiggers.
- Learn pouring techniques and free pouring
Service With Flair
- Operating a cash register
- Customer service training
- Responsible serving + obligations as a bartender
- Flair bartending and tricks
Know Your Drinks 1
- Intro to Liquors
- Not to be confused with Liqueurs
- History of whiskey and how it’s made
- Types of whiskey
- Brandy, cognac, and armagnac
Know Your Drinks 2
- All about vodka, gin, and rum
- Tequila and Mescal
- Wine, port, sherry, and vermouth
- Beer - keg and cellar management
Know Your Drinks 3
- Apertifs - what are they?
- Two liquor drinks
- Cream based drinks
- Sour drinks
- Martinis and Manhattans
Know Your Drinks 4
- Highball and juice
- Exotic drinks
- Hot drinks
- Shooters and shots
- Cocktail recipes
Intro to Coffee
- Starting with the bean
- Coffee varieties, cultivars and hybrids
- The harvesting process
- Roasting techniques
- Taste and quality
Preparing to Brew
- Overview of brewing methods
- Tasting tips
- Using machines and grinders
- Effects of temperature and humidity
Grinding and Espresso
- Using the grinder
- Cleaning and maintenance tips
- Proper coffee storage
- Single bean vs. blended
- Espresso trends and shots
- Brew ratios
Serve it up
- Getting the perfect crema
- The science of milk and coffee
- Steaming and frothing
- Choosing the right vessel
- Getting creative with presentation
- Learn the recipes: Americano, Macchiato, Cappuccino, Mocha, and more!
Who is this course for?
- Aspiring bartenders or baristas who are looking to break into the industry
- Established professionals who want to improve their performance and upgrade skills
- Owners and managers of restaurants, cafes, bars, hotels, etc.
- Anyone in the catering or hospitality industry
- Events professionals who want to expand their skill sets
Expert bartenders and baristas who are knowledgeable about their product and industry, have a wide range of recipes in their repertoire, and demonstrate excellent customer service can become employed by exclusive bars and clubs, luxury hotels, and top restaurants.
No previous experience is necessary. This training is appropriate for beginners as well as those with existing knowledge who want to refresh or upgrade their skills.
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
where is the location for this course?
Courses are fully online. You will have access to your Virtual Campus account any time, day or night so you will be able to complete the course at your own pace over the generous time of 60 consecutive days. Once you register you will have 12 months to activate your course. At the end of the course you will receive a pdf certificate confirming course completion. This can be used as proof of study for employment.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.