Expert Training Ltd
Add to basket or enquire
ASBESTOS AWARENESS - RoSPA and IATP CERTIFIED AWARD
Be safe when carrying out building work.
This online Asbestos Awareness Course for Architects and Designers is designed to help you to understand the risks associated with working with asbestos. Asbestos is a dangerous substance, barely visible to human eyes. It causes cancer and other terminal diseases that affect the quality of a person's life. In order to avoid dangerous practices which may disturb asbestos or cause ill health, you can learn about safe practices and stay safe, healthy (and alive) in your building career or simply when fixing your own house.
This course provides a comprehensive introduction and knowledge about safe working practices and the dangers associated with asbestos at work. It helps individuals and their employers to comply with the current legislation and safety standards.
This course contains four interactive modules and includes a brief assessment at the end of each module. These include:
Module 1: Properties and Risks of Asbestos Exposure
- What is asbestos?- course overview; who uses asbestos; how asbestos used; asbestos risks to health; history of asbestos.
- The Properties of Asbestos- asbestos definition and what it is made of; 5 main characteristics of asbestos.
- Health Risks- the popularity of asbestos and exposure (health risks); damage asbestos causes to the human body.
- Asbestos-Related Illnesses – Mesothelioma development, dangers and statistics; Asbestosis development, symptoms, dangers and statistics; other lung conditions.
- Statistics- statistics of Mesothelioma and Asbestosis; how smoking affects mortality rate; risk factors.
Module 2: Avoiding the Risks from Asbestos
- Different Types of Asbestos- three types of asbestos: chrysotile, amosite and crocidolite (their use and substance).
- Where You Might Find Asbestos- who are at the main risk of exposure to asbestos; where asbestos can be found; common places of asbestos in a building.
Module 3: Different Types of Asbestos
- Avoiding the Risks from Asbestos- risks of asbestos and routes it may enter a human body; disturbance of asbestos and associated dangers.
- Managing the Risk- responsibilities of the employer/ duty holder/ owner to maintaining asbestos managing plan; legal rights and obligations of an employee and employer; PPE; labelling of asbestos; asbestos management plan and what it includes; two types of asbestos surveys; how surveys are conducted and what is included; how to approach ‘unchecked’ areas for asbestos; what to do if there is no asbestos management plan available.
- What to do if Asbestos is Discovered- steps to take if asbestos is discovered during work duties; steps to take if asbestos found on clothing or PPE.
Module 4: An Outline of Asbestos Legislation
- An Outline of Asbestos Legislation- Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012; regulation 4.
- C-A-R – regulations 5, 6 and 10.
- Categories of Asbestos-Related Work- categories of asbestos work and what they involve; additional regulations that apply to asbestos work.
Please note that any workers who plan to carry out work which involves disturbance of asbestos require a higher level of training. This course covers an Awareness of Asbestos and does not allow you to work with asbestos-containing materials.
Who is this course for?
This course is for any worker who is likely to disturb asbestos-containing materials or who may be exposed to asbestos as part of their work. Professions include, but is not limited to:
- Roofing contractors
- Heating and ventilation engineers
- Demolition workers
- Cable layers and electricians
- Carpenters, joiners and construction workers
- Painters, decorators and plasterers
- Fire and burglar alarm installers
- Anyone who is planning or carrying out building work on their own house/ premises
Access to a computer and internet.
Certified Asbestos Awareness Worker.
Questions and answers
Currently there are no Q&As for this course. Be the first to ask a question.
Currently there are no reviews for this provider. Be the first to leave a review.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.