estimated starting salary
Disappointed by your latest download? There’s an app a job for that…
Mobile App Developers design and develop applications for a host of mobile platforms and devices including Windows, Android and Apple. These could include games and applications to improve health and fitness, through to news services and informative applications, and everything in between.
Without them there would be no Google Maps, Flappy Birds or Candy Crush or (although this may be comforting to those still stuck on level 100).
Although specific responsibilities vary, key duties could include:
- Drawing up plans and creating prototypes for new applications
- Building applications, taking into consideration specific usability requirements across a variety of different platforms
- Testing all areas of the programme
- Meeting all requirements to release the application online
- Using all feedback to help improve program, fix any bugs that occur and make sure that all content is updated to improve usability
Like any other form of software development, the people behind best-selling mobile applications have a knack for solving puzzles and finding innovative ways to create a final product.
Aside from being highly competent in writing code, you’ll need to have a natural passion for programming and a steadfast discipline to be a successful developer. Creativity is similarly essential, and you will often have to think outside the box to come up with exciting and innovative ideas.
Other key skills and attributes include:
- A strong foundation in various programming languages
- Good communication skills
- The ability to remain objective, and always provide a good user experience
- Excellent team working and time management skills
- Adaptability, and the ability to keep up-to-date with developments in mobile technology
Junior App Developer
Up to 24,000
Up to 40,000
Software Development Manager
Up to 50,000
Mobile app development isn't for the faint of heart- it requires a good level of discipline, and can be frustrating. Writing and troubleshooting code for long lengths of time may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but for me it’s like solving a huge puzzle. For someone who has always been obsessed with technology and computers since I was a kid, this is definitely my dream job.
It is not a necessary requirement to have a degree to become a Mobile App Developer. However, a good knowledge of various programming languages will be essential.
This online course teaches everything from how to install create your apps through to publishing your first app to the Android market. No prior experience or coding knowledge necessary.
This course will introduce you to the fundamentals of programming for both operating systems, teaching you the core principles of mobile app development. Perfect for both entry-level mobile enthusiasts, through to trainee and experienced programmers.
Find a job
Sign up for more Career Advice