You hate Mondays because you hate your job. You should be a Financial Controller…
The main job of a Financial Controller is to supervise accounting activities of an organisation. Usually second in command within the finance team (behind Finance Director), a Financial Controller ensures financial reports are properly prepared and all accounts are documented correctly.
Although specific responsibilities vary, the role of a Financial Controller will generally include the following:
- Preparing financial statements
- Compiling budgets
- Calculating profit and loss
- Carrying out cost analysis and making recommendations on how the business could spend more efficiently
- Presenting all financial reports and development back to the business
The success of a Financial Controller is heavily dependent upon their numerical ability. You will need to have a passion for mathematics, and a close attention to detail. You will also be able to multi-task, and have excellent decision-making skills, often making crucial business choices under pressure.
Other key skills and attributes include:
- Excellent analytical skills
- Superior financial acumen
- Able to stick to strict financial deadlines
- Good interpersonal and presentation skills
- The ability to maintain objectivity at all times
I’ve worked in the finance industry for over twenty years, and used to be an Accountant before becoming a full-time Financial Controller. I’ve always been obsessed with organisation, and this job is the perfect outlet for my passion. There’s real job satisfaction in knowing how important your decisions are, and being trusted to make the right call when it comes to the big decisions.
Nearly all Financial Controller positions will require previous experience, an in-depth knowledge of standard accountancy and finance best practices.
This CIMA online learning course has been developed, written, reviewed and endorsed by CIMA to help you pass your exams and learn all about Financial Management.
This section of the CIMA courses focuses on Performance Strategy, providing you with the knowledge and information to help you pass your exams.