Serco Leisure is committed to providing a safe, warm, clean, friendly, fun environment for the local community at an affordable cost. Honesty, integrity and a positive, can-do attitude are key to helping us deliver this mission and are values we expect from each individual.
Purpose of Job / Key Objectives
The Recreation Assistant's role is to work within the centre ensuring customer safety and high standards of service and customer care at all times. The role will involve supervision of specific activities, maintaining high standards of cleanliness and the safe handling and set up of equipment. The successful candidate must have a current NPLQ.
- Provide supervision of swimming pools to ensure customer safety at all times by preventing accidents and incidents and by taking the appropriate action in the event of these occurring
- Provide supervision of dry-side activities to ensure customer safety at all times by preventing accidents and incidents and by taking the appropriate action in the event of these occurring
- Ensure equipment is set up in order to meet the needs of the programmed activities
- Undertake cleaning tasks as required to ensure the centre is well presented and monitor standards of cleanliness in customer critical areas such as changing rooms and toilets
- Monitor customer use within the centre and ensure unsafe practices are promptly dealt with or reported as appropriate
- Maintain high levels of customer service at all times
- Maintain a full product knowledge of the services and activities available at the centre
- Attend training sessions in order to demonstrate competency and maintain a valid qualification
- Follow the processes laid down in the SLIMS (Serco Leisure Integrated Management System), in particular, the Pool Normal Operating, Pool Emergency and Centre Emergencies
- Consistently and actively apply good housekeeping principles, such as turning off lights and equipment when not in use, in order to contribute to our strategy to reduce utility consumption and carbon footprint.
- Undertake any other duties as required within the Centre as directed by your line manager
- Current Royal Lifesaving Society National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (Essential)
- First aid at work qualification (Desirable)
- Pool plant operators certificate (Desirable)
The Recreation Assistant should ideally be able to demonstrate a level of experience and knowledge commensurate with the position, e.g. working in a service led or retail operation.
- Ability to remain vigilant, alert and attentive
- Ability to be calm and in control in pressurised situations such as emergencies
- Customer care skills
- Communication skills
- The ability to set and achieve high standards of centre cleanliness and presentation
- Health & Safety awareness
- The ability to deal with customers of all age groups and levels of ability
- Sustain a level of fitness to enable the physical aspects of the position to be undertaken
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- In line with Serco Leisure's policy, all employees will have a DBS disclosure at an appropriate level.