CytoPath Ltd More jobs from CytoPath Ltd
We are a veterinary laboratory in Ledbury looking for a fourth technician to join our small friendly diagnostic pathology team. The position rotates through clinical pathology, histopathology and microbiology so experience in at least one of these areas is preferred. Alternate Saturday cover is essential.
- must have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written - good numeracy skills
- strong organisational skills and ability to work under pressure with particular attention to detail
- GCSE grade C (or equivalent) in English language and mathematics
- working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- experience in providing general or other administrative support
- ability to work independently on own initiative and also contribute as part of a team
- willingness and ability to learn new skills
- ability to get on with a wide variety of people
- ability to use a database or willingness to learn
- Degree in Biomedical or Bioveterinary Science
- knowledge of operation of technical laboratory equipment
- experience of laboratory work in at least one of the following areas: clinical pathology, histopathology, microbiology
- an interest in veterinary science
General job description
- Perform the laboratory/office sample log-in procedure.
- Perform haematology analysis (to include running haematology analyser; perform manual differentials, manual platelet counts, reticulocyte counts …).
- Perform biochemistry analysis (use of automated analyser and preparation/dilution of samples).
- Perform microbiology (to include identification and antibiotic sensitivities).
- Perform coagulation tests - primarily PT and aPTT using a manual method.
- Trim histopathology specimens and perform decalcification as tissues require.
- Perform histopathology processing, embedding, sectioning and staining.
- Preparation of cytology specimens (use of cytocentrifuge, staining instrumentation).
- Perform laboratory equipment maintenance and cleaning; negotiating and maintaining service contracts on equipment. Assist with slide filing. Keep the laboratory areas clean and tidy.
- Assist with ordering and managing inventory of laboratory consumables.
- Answer technical telephone enquiries.
- Assist with provision of supplies to customers.
- Assist with any other laboratory or clerical duties as directed to assist with the smooth operation of the business.
- The job description will be reviewed periodically in conjunction with the post holder to make sure it reflects the changing needs of the role.
To apply, please send a covering letter and CV to: The Laboratory Manager, CytoPath Ltd., PO Box 24, Ledbury, Herefordshire HR8 2YD.